deck support

Old 07-10-14, 06:12 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
deck support

we are building a 24 x 16 elevated 2nd floor deck. it will be 24 feet along the house and 16 feet coming out from the house. there will be 4 post along the 24 feet at the end of the deck....about 8 feet apart. we did not want any posts or beams crossing the joists under the deck so that we can use that as a patio. we didn't want to hit our head.

At each of the 4 post...there will be a double 10 inch joist from the house to the posts. the rest of the joists will be 12 inches apart.

is it ok to not have any support in the middle of the 16 feet(say at 8 feet) across the deck? ( the same place we don't want to hit our head walking under)

Old 07-11-14, 02:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums. What size posts are you planning? What size is your proposed rim joist? Suggested answers....6x6 and 2x10.

Old 07-11-14, 10:52 AM
G
The rim joists along the sides and end will be 2 - 2x10 . The posts i think will be 6 inches wide . I hope that helps and thank you.

Old 07-11-14, 03:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Although the span tables for the 2x10s will work with your span, doubling should help with the bouniness that may occur with such a long one. Here's some light reading for your evening time It does contain a great deal of information and suggestions.
http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Old 07-11-14, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Chandler has a good point.

The joists and beams that meet span tables for a uniform load work well for structural purposes (will no fall down), but do not address serviceability or practicality.

Some examples are group of people belly to back and shoulder to shoulder in one area can give a different (unbalanced load) that could be a problem. Dynamic loads, such a movement, dancing, etc. could cause different loads and potential problems. Then, there is the people experiences such as deflection, bounciness that can render a structural deck undesirable or even unusable. - That is why deck designers are around to keep people from making poor decisions on a structure and have to live with the mistakes.

Dick

Old 07-11-14, 04:42 PM
G
This is great...thank you all. So I read some of it...and from what i can understand. My deck will have a 16 foot span starting from the house ledger and going to the double 2x10 rim joist (beam?). The rim joist(beam) will sit on top of the posts. There will not be a beam holding up the joists. Similar to Figure 1B on page 8. The joists will be 12 inches apart. There will be 4 posts holding up the rim joist. 1 in each corner and 2 in the middle. Each of the 4 posts will have a double 2x10 joist going from the rim joist on the end and going to the ledger on the house.

From what I can tell of table 2 on page 7. that should be good for support. Unless i'm reading it wrong.

Thanks for any input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: