Solid surface deck materials

Old 03-13-01, 03:20 PM
Trent Bridley
Visiting Guest
I am in the market for either a wooden deck floor of either panels or plank, or a manufactured type of floor (recycled wood , vinyl, etc.), that can be used outdoors to the exposed elements. This is to be used over a carport and I would like it not to leak water.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-01, 11:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Trent,

I'm in the same situation as you in wanting a waterproof deck surface, also a deck that will last and last.

We've decided on a concrete deck that is built in a welded steel framework using galvanized corrugated roofing as the bottom of the pan. I see no reason why you couldn't do the same thing with wood; treated posts, treated lumber to frame the pan and plywood to form the bottom of the pan. Use reinforcing wire and pour the concrete in and finish it off. We are going for an exposed pea gravel finish on ours, but an ordinary finish would be easier and give you more options.

The reason for the welded steel framework in our case is that I'm a welder, and have the equipment. You can check out posts that have been made along these lines here in Decks and also over in the Concrete and Masonery forum. The moderators gave me great ideas in both areas.

Good luck,