Joist question for existing deck...

Old 07-20-14, 07:10 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joist question for existing deck...

Hi, we just had an 16x20 extension added to our existing Trex deck that is attached to the house. The original deck boards ran parallel to the house and pitched slightly as the deck went out, I assume for water runoff. When the contractors attached the new deck to our existing, I was told that they no longer pitch them, and also the joists are running left to right as the new decking runs perpendicular. My issue is that we want to match the old decking with our new Trex but because of the joists running the other way my fasteners won't align properly.

My question is, although the joists run opposite in each deck I shouldn't lose any support functionality correct? And without having to rip up the old deck structure completely (it is only 4 years old), is it possible to maybe install 2x4s or 2x6s in between them running perpendicular so my anchors will line up properly when attaching the new Trex? I just need something to attach the flooring to...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-14, 07:58 AM
M
Decking

You would need to use the cross bracing, at a minimum of 2 feet. 16. Inches is the way I would go. And the use of joist hangers would also be called for. Do not use 2 by 4's, use the same as deck material size.

Old 07-20-14, 10:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The contractor was correct in that decks are not pitched. Why? every board has a gap between it, and water runs off, so no pitching is necessary, really. If you just can't live with the change in the decking, have him change the framing to match the old. This wasn't brought up early on in the project?? Mowpar has the only answer if that is the way you want to go. You will spend a mint in joist hangers, however, and you will be cutting boards all day long.

Old 07-20-14, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 643 Votes on 595 Posts
I using 1" thick Trex, joist spacing is a maximum of 16" on center, not 24", so that's what your cross bracing would need to be. I agree that it's a little late to be discussing the direction that the decking will run. That's typically the first thing that is discussed before building a deck. (and it would be the framer's fault if it wasn't done the way that you agreed).

I would suggest you run the decking in the way that it should be run (for the new part of the deck, as built) save yourself all the work (a lot of work, as Larry mentioned) and forget about the fact that it's not the same as the rest. It's 4 years newer and probably will look better than the old anyway.

Old 07-25-14, 10:12 AM
B
Thanks XSleeper, we've considered that and were trying to come up with some sort of "transition" design so that someone stepping on to the deck isn't wondering why we went 2 diff. ways. Like I said, this was done throw Lowes and legally they can't touch an existing deck, only rip it out. But that didn't make sense to us as the original deck was only a few years old. Unfortunately it is also framed going in the opposite direction hence my dilemma.

Old 07-25-14, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Assuming you mean "done through Lowes," and not "throw Lowes"?

If that's the case, it could be a lesson to you and others considering future deck adventures. Installation services provided by apron/vest stores is always a gamble--I've heard several horror stories regarding same, and have never heard of anyone completely satisfied with such work. My one and only experience with a big box store installation was quite dismal, when we had new carpet installed by a crew working with Home Depot (where we bought the carpet). It was very obvious that the crew was not particularly skilled at what they were doing, and after 2 unsuccessful call-backs to try to get them to make corrections, I wound up paying a private installer who "cleaned up the mess" (his words) left by the original installers, correctly and efficiently. My attempts to get some reimbursement from HD were a waste of time, with the store manager insisting it was my fault for not giving them enough chances to fix their mistakes.

Old 08-07-14, 11:27 AM
B
Yes, ironically I was having a Pergo install done in our finished basement at the same time by Home Depot...which was also screwed up! My thought process when going with both is because I was hoping I would at least have the support of a big box store if there were issues, but they are basically useless. I had read so many horror stories of contractors (even "good" ones) disappearing with a deposit or doing half the work and making themselves unavailable leaving me in limbo. So I thought using a bix box that utilizes subs would be preferable.

Old 08-07-14, 11:53 AM
B
We have decided to do as you suggest, my problem now is that because the existing deck was sloped for runoff, where the new deck ends, the old boards run opposite and rise going towards the house which causes an uneven lip between the 2 decking areas.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  10.7 KB

My question is: without having to redo that deck can I "unslope" the stringers somehow? Sanding?