Questions on platform for hot tub

Old 08-06-14, 08:32 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions on platform for hot tub

I'm purchasing a new hot tub that will be placed on a concrete patio next to my deck. I'd like to raise the height of the hot tub 6" to 10"(TBD still)inches so it's slightly higher than the level of my deck. I was initially thinking of just building an 92"x92" platform out of 2x6, 2x10(whichever height works best to get it the level I need) and having the joists about 12" OC. The platform would be on a flat, level concrete patio, so there wouldn't be any sag in the joists for the platform and then putting some decking on top of it. I'm looking for some feedback and opinions on a few things.

- Lateral bracing, probably a good idea to put some in to prevent any rolling of the joists?

- Should I use ground rated lumber if it's sitting on concrete?

- I'm concerned about a closed platform like that and what's going to get underneath it. Don't want any mice or critters thinking it's a suitable home for them. Also worried about mold and rot since it will be such a wet environment.

- Possibly thinking of just putting the pier blocks down so that there is a gap underneath it and I can blow underneath it with the backpack blower. As I get into that idea though, I have to be more conscious of the joist size and load requirements. The blocks are usually some 7.5" off the ground notched, and if I put a 2x6 in that it's getting a little higher than I might want and even then I'm not sure the 2x6 at such a short span can handle a load of 125psf?

- Anyone else done something similar to this? Any issues, or things you wish you'd done different?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-14, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Treated lumber absolutely. Raising it slightly....ehhhh. If it's sitting squarely on the pad, and it's basically a sealed box, raising it will just allow a path for critters and junk that you wouldn't have had otherwise.

I doubt you'd need any lateral bracing either. Some 4x4's in the corners, and the decking screwed down, plus the weight of the spa itself should be plenty.

Being as the joists are fully supported across their length, you could probably go to 16" spacing if you are using 5/4 decking. If you use synthetic, then maybe 12" would be better, but it doesn't sound like you will have any exposed walking area anyway.

Old 08-06-14, 01:40 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, makes me feel better about setting it directly on the concrete!

Old 08-06-14, 01:43 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Generally you don't want wood touching concrete so I'd treat this as sitting on the ground - make sure the wood touching sitting on the patio is not only treated but rated for ground contact.

Old 08-06-14, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I said treated...but I did mean ground contact. Dunno if thats different from whats used for sill plates or in a basement wall....?

Old 08-06-14, 02:25 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Yeah, you got me on that one as well, Vic.

Might not be since the basement wall at least shouldn't be getting rained or snowed on so maybe regular treated wood is good enough there.

We might need Larry or Brant to clarify that one.

Old 08-06-14, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Keep in mind that having a hollow wooden frame under your tub will act like a drum, amplifying the pump noise and making it louder than if sitting on solid concrete or compacted soil. Also, raising it could make it a chore for small kids (yours, or grandchildren?) to easily/safely get in and out, unassisted.