Need advice - best repair for old concrete steps

Old 08-09-14, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice - best repair for old concrete steps

Howdy all.

I have some really old concrete steps that have been repaired many many times over the years, and the patches keep coming off and the steps are so spalled out it's crazy. The picture doesn't show it super well, but the bottom step is basically just a ramp at this point.

I'm trying to figure out the best repair... I'm leaning toward a concrete saw and taking out the steps (leaving the landing at the top), and mounting some wooden steps to it.

Will that work? Any better ideas or thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-14, 04:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yeah, patching won't last long. Your idea of cutting off the steps may work. You could construct wooden steps or install a set of precast steps to butt up to your landing. You will need to make sure the landing id shored up properly and not relying on the steps for structural strength.

Old 08-10-14, 09:25 PM
The majority of failed concrete patches and repairs I've seen over the years are usually the result of either improper surface preparation, or not following manufacturer's mixing, placing and curing recommendations. You shouldn't expect a repair product to last if it's applied to pulpy, delaminated or otherwise unacceptable concrete.

I would never consider installing wooden steps in place of properly-constructed concrete steps--too many maintenance chores (and headaches), prone to warp and rot, and difficulty in anchoring to the concrete stoop while still able to withstand frost heave, are a few things that come to mind. If the exposed face of the stoop is junk after you remove the steps, you may have to completely replace it anyway, so just form and pour the steps at the same time. That would be a good time to install hand railings, too. You and your guests aren't getting any younger.

Old 08-12-14, 04:07 AM
what about buying a set of pre-cast steps ? they usually come w/handrails, too,,, then you'll have the best of both worlds - new steps + handrails AND you still get to play w/your demo saw

Old 08-13-14, 06:22 PM
That is a great idea. Hadn't thought of it. Hoorah.