Paint still on the deck after power washings. Is this good enough?

Old 08-10-14, 03:28 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint still on the deck after power washings. Is this good enough?

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  48.6 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  43.1 KB

Hi

The previous owner painted our deck (I'm pretty sure it is paint, when it peels it comes off in thick pieces). So I've power washed the deck twice and experimented with paint remover. This seems to be the best I can get it without sanding back to bare wood.

Is this ok to put a solid stain over?

I have sort of resolved myself to the fate of power washing off the chunks of paint each year and recoating. Hopefully, less and less of it will peel.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-14, 03:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
The residue looks more like a stain than a paint but it should be fine for applying any solid deck stain.

Old 08-11-14, 06:00 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I agree - go ahead and apply your stain.

Old 08-11-14, 07:38 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solid stain should not be used on a deck that's going to be walked on.
Works fine on the railings.
I know everyone's going to be jumping all over me for saying that, but just remember what I suggested a year from now when it wears off.

Old 08-11-14, 07:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I agree with Joe that walking on the surface is going to wear away the finish but, IMO, a solid body deck stain is what's going to hold up the best.

Old 08-11-14, 08:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've probably applied solid stain to a 100 or more decks with no complaints. There is a difference between a solid deck stain and a solid siding stain! There is also a big difference in the quality of the different stains, like most things you usually get what you pay for. While deck stains can be used on siding, a siding stain should never be used on a deck. A siding stain might be ok on the railing but a deck stain will hold up better on the top of the rail.

Old 08-12-14, 03:12 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
2 types of stain - water-based & oil-based,,, it sounds as if you had water-based just as is on mine & every f'n year its needs restaining but do you think i can talk my bride, nagzilla, into changing to polyurethane ? not in this lifetime NO paint or latex stain is traffic resistant,,, IF it were, i wouldn't have to do the (*^#$&)(*[email protected] work every year

btw, you're right anything you put on top will only be as good as what's on the bottom & its adhesion to the deck

however, all in all, i only do mine while mark does others'

Old 08-12-14, 04:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The climate can be a determining factor as to whether oil or latex stain is best. As an old school painter I always thought oil was best but when I moved to fla I learned that the intense fla sun coupled with the rain would kill oil base coatings in short order. Water based coatings held up a lot better. Here in tenn, both seem to do ok although I prefer the waterborne stains even though they do have a longer cure time. The right coating for one job isn't always the best for the next one.

NO paint or latex stain is traffic resistant
That's basically true of any coating although some wear better than others. More traffic always means more wear. Decks are probably the most difficult substrate to get a long lasting finish as they generally receive more sun and moisture than any other wood on a house.