Taking any suggestions on my deck (lots of pictures attached)

Old 08-12-14, 01:05 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Taking any suggestions on my deck (lots of pictures attached)

I am a relatively new home owner (will be 3 years very soon) and our deck needs some attention. When we bought the home I could see the paint wasn't going to last, and this summer it really started chipping away.

What would you do with it? My thinking is to head to the local paint store, get a suggestion on a stripper and try to powerwash up the coating here. Then I would take a random orbital sander and try to clean up the surfaces and countersink any tall nails. Then I would use a similar deck paint or opaque stain to protect it. It seems the edge that is out in the sun is in pretty bad shape however.

Does that sounds right? Will I be able to get away with this, or do I need something more drastic?

Pictures are here (file size limits): imgur: the simple image sharer

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-14, 01:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
The wood looks to be in pretty rough shape, I'm not sure how much sanding would help. I'd clean it and apply a coat or two of a solid latex deck stain ...... and start saving up for new decking.

Old 08-12-14, 01:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
You might be a candidate for one of those 'restore' products to see if you can limp this along another year or two before you have to replace the boards.

My 2 would be to replace them with composite when the time comes.

Old 08-12-14, 01:21 PM
L
Wow, well you two are certainly fast. I'm not one to want to waste a lot of time on a lost cause - so if I read between the lines, are you suggesting I replace the decking entirely?

Old 08-12-14, 02:38 PM
C
I have a suggestion that's somewhere in between redo and painting. I was at family's in Canada a couple weekends ago and they recently updated their wood deck with a composite overlay. Essentially it's a Trex like product that is just a thin top layer that you screw into existing boards. It's cheaper than replacing the whole deck with composite and works well in situations when the foundation is solid but the boards may be chipping and weathered. Not sure of the exact cost, but worth looking into.

Old 08-12-14, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The only problem with the overlay is putting it on wood that is less than good, as yours is getting. If the wood fails, the overlay will fail. Can you provide a link for the overlay your friends used? It may help us to know so we can advise accordingly.

Old 08-13-14, 02:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
are you suggesting I replace the decking entirely?
A lot depends on the condition of the structure. If the framing is good, all you need to do replace the deck boards. Hard to say without crawling under the deck and inspecting it and/or tearing off the decking to know for sure. The pics indicate all the deck boards need replacing.

Old 08-13-14, 07:43 AM
L
I took a look underneath, and the joists look good. I believe I would need to cut the deck boards around my posts, but otherwise it looks pretty straight-forward. After talking to a friend, he suggested I look into PVC composite, are there any tips on what brands to look at? I'm not super picky about this stuff, but do want it to last a long time.

Old 08-13-14, 11:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know much about the different composites [I'm mostly on the staining end] but some have stricter requirements on the framing [need joists closer together] Larry and some of the others know a good bit about composite decks so wait and see what they say.