What kind of railing can I use with rounded porch posts?

Old 08-12-14, 03:07 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What kind of railing can I use with rounded porch posts?

Our front porch has round columns that are slightly wider at the bottom than top. We would like to add a PVC or composite (low maintenance) railing around the porch that connects the columns and continues down the stairs. However, a number of companies I've spoken to have told me that their PVC or aluminum railing products do not attach to a round post. One company had a skinny steel railing that would attach but the look was not right.

I've included pictures of my porch along with photos of completed porch railing that is the look I want. I'm looking for suggestions for a product that can be installed with the existing posts.

Thanks!

my porch
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  52.3 KB

sample railing
Name:  Porch railing.jpg
Views: 4425
Size:  36.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-14, 03:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Oh goodness! Unless you have a super great reason for adding railings (such as kids who tend to land on their heads), I would absolutely not degrade the look of your wonderful house. The rock work ties in well, and the columns give it the look of old Savannah.....beautiful.

Old 08-13-14, 02:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I know more about painting railings than installing them but every railing I've painted that mounted to round columns, the carpenters cut the ends of the railing to match the radius of the column. I'm surprised that the same can't be done with aluminum or vinyl. Maybe it's too much work and you just haven't found the right installer yet.

Old 08-14-14, 10:04 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments.

Chandler - We love the look as well, but for safety reasons are considering the railings. Although it looks like the home could fit in Savannah we live in the cold Midwest and are concerned that with ice/snow someone could fall and get hurt, especially on the back porch which is uncovered.

marksr - good thought. we'll check with a few other installers. the main portion we could do ourselves and planned to install but we don't have the skills to attach to the posts unless the product was made that way.

Old 08-14-14, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I just did a search for "porch railings for round posts" and clicked on one of the images that showed up. There are definitely plenty of suppliers for vinyl railing products for use with round columns. Most use a sort of adapter that then allows a regular flat bracket to attach.

Midland Vinyl Products (not sure if they sell direct or only do installs) and Hoover Fence Co (online supplier) are just 2 of the ones that popped up.

They should be able to help with measurements and such.

Oh, and "Illusions" is one brand I saw quite a bit, "Superior" seems to be another.

They're out there, just need to find the right company.