How to replace a rotten bottom part of a deck post?

Old 08-18-14, 11:46 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to replace a rotten bottom part of a deck post?

Hello,
One of my deck post is rotten on the bottom. I never did any repair like this. Since its connected with my stairs. So should I replace the bottom part or replace the whole thing or add another post right next to it and connect them both?
Please if possible provide me some details or a ehow video. couldnt find much help online. since most people use cement but i didnt see any cement on the bottom yet. also whats the best way to dig down? i have some hard soil.
Thanks
here are the picture
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f...818_084322.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f...818_084335.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-14, 12:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
It would be best to replace the entire post. It's never a great idea to embed posts in concrete. It's better to dig a footer and install a tie down for the 4x4 to attach to so the 4x4 stays above ground and is less likely to rot in the future.

Old 08-18-14, 06:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whatts the best way to to hold the deck while i replace the post? I am just concern since the post is where the porch,stairs and deck connects.

Old 08-19-14, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Basically you temporarily support the deck, then rip out the bad post and replace. I mostly paint/stain decks but hopefully one of the carpenters will chime in with more/better info on replacing the post.

Old 08-19-14, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not a carpenter, but I am capable of chiming in. I wonder if that's the opposite of chiming out?

But anyway, you can temporarily support the porch and stairway loads by installing vertical 2 x 4s, with a shorter cross 2 x 4 on top of each to form a capital "T". You want the cross members to straddle at least 2 horizontal deck/porch framing members. Set the braces on concrete blocks or short 2 x 6s, resting on soil that you've compacted a bit. They all need to be a tight fit, and securing at the top with just a nail or two will keep them in place if you happen to disturb the soil near the support members. At least one long diagonal 2 x 4 brace, wedged between the ground and the underside of a porch support member, would ensure that the porch doesn't drift away from the house once the column is removed.

Easiest way to dig is to use a post hole digger, followed by a garden or landscaping (narrower) spade. You need to remove all of the rotten post before throwing/compacting some gravel, then setting a short Sonotube in place, followed by filling it with concrete. Installing a galvanized steel post anchor in the finished concrete will mean you won't have to drill any holes in hardened concrete.