Staining deck with new and old sections

Old 08-19-14, 11:00 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staining deck with new and old sections

I bought a house a few months ago with an older deck (10+ years) and we are currently building an addition which resulted in tearing down one part of the deck that will be re-built in a couple weeks when the addition is finished. After that, I want to stain both old and new parts of the deck and try to get them to look as close to each other as I can. I do have a power washer and deck cleaner and I plan to do that to the old part before starting.

I would like some advice on what products (and any preparation) that would help me get the old and new looking as close as possible. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-14, 11:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Generally, wood which is in good shape (often meaning newer wood) looks good with a translucent or semi-transparent stain while with older wood a solid body stain is often the best choice. Given a combination, I would be leaning toward the solid stain.

Old 08-19-14, 11:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Getting the color to match between old and new isn't a big deal but there is a 'texture' difference between new wood and old. Depending on how well the old cleans up you might get by with semi-transparent but otherwise solid stain will give the closest match. A discerning eye will still be able to spot the new lumber.

Old 08-19-14, 07:06 PM
J
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking I'd probably need to use solid stain on it, but glad to get that confirmation.

Old 08-20-14, 02:02 PM
M
You won't be able to stain the new decking material immediately after installing it. It will need to dry out for a while before being stained or sealed. It probably would be best to wait until next spring for the new lumber anyway so if you wait until then and clean both sections they may look quite close to the same before staining.