is it good idea to build a balcony here?

Old 08-22-14, 03:02 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is it good idea to build a balcony here?

Hi All,

I go ta house a few months ago. It is a 2 story house and it has a door on the 2nd floor to what I think would be a balcony to be...

Here is a picture from outside:

Name:  IMG_2116 (Small).jpg
Views: 217
Size:  29.9 KB

Here is from the 2nd floor :
Name:  IMG_2119 (Small).jpg
Views: 149
Size:  32.3 KB

However my concern is that there is a section of the roof that comes rigth down to the floor of the balcony to be and I am not sure if it is ok and what to do with the water coming from the roof on that side. Here is a picture:
Name:  IMG_2118 (Small).jpg
Views: 151
Size:  34.1 KB

Thanks for any advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-14, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Bad idea. At least, without a lot of work. You already have drainage issues as evidenced by your pics.

I'd say you have a lot of other pressing concerns to deal with first. Paint/stain on the exterior, degraded wood, unsecured electrical/HVAC lines, roof slope on the flat portion

Why does the downspout look like it's above the roofline on the 2nd floor in the first pic?

Last edited by Gunguy45; 08-22-14 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-22-14, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Did they use 4" downspout for a vent pipe?? :NO NO NO:

Old 08-22-14, 04:08 PM
M
As gunguy said, there are quite a few things you should probably worry about first before a balcony. However it certainly looks like that space was designed to be a small balcony and that's the reason they put a flat roof on there so you could build a balcony above that. You can do some searches to find out how to build a balcony on top of a flat roof, it's really simple but needs to be done correctly to prevent damage to the roof and for water to drink correctly. Ever see some work is going to have to be done on the flat roof so that you don't have stagnant water staying there.

Old 08-22-14, 08:31 PM
F
Thanks for the responses...

The downspout . It is actually a radon system that was recently installed. No issue there..

Wood paint.. definitely this is on top of the list. Rotten wood was already replaced , the ones left need a good paint layer.

HVAC was replaced recently but the line needs to be secure to the wall.. To be done before the painting.

roof slope on the flat portion. Yes, I am looking for suggestions how this is to be done.

In general, the balcony is not probably a this year's project. I am still working on few other issues (including paint) but need to start planning probably for next year.

I appreciate your help and tips.

Old 08-23-14, 04:18 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I can see a bunch of reasons not to have a deck there.
There's already issues with that roof. (sure looks like water is ponding)
By the time you add sleepers and decking it would be even with the threshold to that door.
An almost sure way to have water getting in around and under it.
The splash back on that siding is going to rot it out.