Flashing a Deck with a Stucco Ceiling Under It

Old 08-27-14, 11:03 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashing a Deck with a Stucco Ceiling Under It

Hello:

I have a deck that has had water damage because the contractor never installed flashing, and I need to rip it down to the studs. While the subfloor is not fine, which is why I ripped it out, the joists are laminated and are reusable.

I'm about to lay down a new subfloor, but I can't seem to figure out how to install the flashing. It's a stucco house, and the deck is on the second floor. Directly under the deck is another patio. The patio below has a stucco ceiling, so lath, stucco, can lights, and speakers are connected to the joists of the deck (See attached photos).

How should I flash the deck? I've been searching on the web, and all I see is how to flash the ledger, so it channels water directly UNDER the ledger, but I can't do this as there is a patio below and the stucco is there. Suggestions? Keywords I should be looking for in my searches?

Thank you, all.

Saul

Attached Images    
Old 08-27-14, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flashing is not what you want, because it will just dump water onto the new floor surface you install. I'd suggest going with a layered, impervious membrane, sloped to allow all water to run off. With upturns at the walls, to be covered by new stucco. And with a final, non-skid walking surface on top.

Old 08-27-14, 02:36 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! From your recommendation, it appears I need an "impervious membrane." However, I'm still a little confused. If I have a membrane on TOP the SUBFLOOR, I'd still be drilling into the membrane. See, we have aluminum decking that goes on top of the subfloor for our finished look. Further suggestions?

Old 08-27-14, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Attaching any kind of decking by drilling through a membrane and/or subfloor will result in leaks. You don't want that to happen, again, do you?

I suggest getting rid of the aluminum decking idea, and using something else--preferably a glue-down vinyl product, or something similar. Even ceramic tile would work, if the floor framing/subfloor are rigid enough.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: