Want to stain and OLD gray deck - white!

Old 08-27-14, 02:32 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to stain and OLD gray deck - white!

Hi, we have a long neglected deck on the roof and I think white is the best color for this. I read up a bit and see we need to wash it down well, probably power wash it, and use and oil-based stain. I want a solid stain, in WHITE. I looked at Armstrong and Cabot and could not find that they had white. Does anyone do white in solid stain??

Or should I not use solid? I want it to look white, thats all, without having to chip off paint when it needs a new coat...

And is there a brand recommended for longevity and quality??

[P.S. Still searching, and see Behr has a white. But Behr? Not sure of the quality of that...]

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-14, 02:50 PM
F
So far I am only finding Behr in a white. I maybe did not search thoroughly enough, though. But the Behr is acrylic! Will it be okay on the old deck?

I just want a nice bright white up there on the deck, which sits on an old silver-gray roof.

It is only the railings and "fence" posts we are painting. The deck floor itself needs, instead, a new coat of elastometric paint (as its the ceiling of the shower room pushed out of the attic). That's another question I should make another post for, which elastometric paint.

Old 08-27-14, 04:18 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I wouldn't expect any miracles from any stain or any paint for that matter. You might want to do a test in a hidden section first.

Old 08-28-14, 03:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I don't know how well a Behr stain will hold up but most any quality latex solid deck stain should do a decent job. I've used some oil base white stains before but don't remember if they came in deck stains and that was a long time ago. Generally a worn deck looks best with a latex solid deck stain. Siding stains should not be used on decking!

Old 08-28-14, 06:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
My deck was almost black before we figured out the contractor was never coming back to seal it. I wet it down with the hose, sprayed on a 50/50 bleach/water mixture, scrubbed with a brush and then rinsed it off with the hose. This cleaned it up pretty well but not quite as much as I wanted so I repeated the process. At that point, the wood was almost blonde. If you did that, you would be able to color the deck anything you wanted afterward. One caveat would be that oil based stains can yellow a bit with time so if you want white, I would only consider a latex solid body stain.

I haven't looked for that particular color but Cabbot, Sikkens, Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams tend to be the products most endorsed around here.

Old 08-28-14, 08:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Yellowing isn't normally much of an issue with exterior oil base whites - the sun tends to keep them bleached out

I don't know what's available at a big box paint dept but most any paint store should have a white deck stain available. On a worn deck, latex is usually preferred as it will help fill the open grain better than oil base will. As Mitch mentioned, you always want to clean the wood before applying stain!