Attaching composite railing to existing wood deck

Old 08-28-14, 07:45 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attaching composite railing to existing wood deck

After getting some structural repair to better support my 12x16 deck, I decided it was time to replace the railing. It was in bad shape and pulling apart due to the previous structural issues.

I figured spending the extra money for composite railing was worth it but am struggling with the best way to install. My previous railing posts were 4x4 notched. I thought about installing the new posts inside the deck, but that would require pulling up lots of boards, additional sawing for the openings, and needing to cover the previous cut notches. I've read that notched posts are not the way to go because they don't offer as much support. But at this point my options are new notched posts, attaching unnotched posts to the outside of the deck, or buying Titan post anchor kits and attaching to the top of the deck.

It seems that either notched posts or posts attached to the outside will look funny with post covers and will extend the railing off of the deck anywhere from 1-2 inches. Plus attaching to the outside will mean double corner posts. I'm a little weary of attaching to the top of the deck as that just doesn't seem like enough support. Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-14, 05:26 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Deck Posts

Use notched posts inside the rim joist to make the outside edge of the post flush with the outside edge of the deck. Cut a hole in the floor board where the post goes through. Other comments will follow.