Wet redwood vs kiln dried

Old 08-28-14, 07:48 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wet redwood vs kiln dried

My deck is a "T" shape deck with the top part being exposed to the sun almost all day. I began replacing the old boards on the horizontal section of the T with wet con heart because it was actually better looking than the kiln dried, meaning less knots. Would it be alright to use kiln dried redwood in the I part of the T since it is more shady in the area? I know it will cost a little more for those boards but I thought that after the initial 3 month or so, then all boards would be ready for the preservative.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-14, 03:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I don't think it would make much difference, the wood installed in the shady area should still air dry ok.

Old 08-29-14, 06:45 AM
R
Thanks. So what is the general consensus on how long to wait before using the wood preservative? oil based preservative or not? and what is your recommendation on which one to use?

Old 08-29-14, 08:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
3-6 months is the norm for air dried wood. it would be best to check locally to find out which deck stains preform the best in your climate. Here in tenn, oil and waterbased stains preform equally well but when I was in fla - oil base stains didn't hold up well to the intense sunlight.

Old 08-29-14, 11:14 AM
R
Thanks again. Well I guess oil base stains would not hold up in East Bay in California either then because it gets up to 90-100 degrees here in the summer.

Old 08-29-14, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It's not so much the temp as how intense the sun is. Up there you don't get near the strong sun like further south. I lived in that area for about 5-6 years, it can get hot, but the sun isn't as strong.