Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Noob Getting Ready To Start Remodel of Nursery, New Deck, and Patio - Help.

Old 08-31-14, 08:35 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I've done basic handyman stuff around the house, but nothing quite as ambitious as this project. My wife and I are expecting our second child this March, so I decided to remodel a 'sunroom' off the master into a nursery. Since money is in short supply, I'll have to do all the work myself.

The people who lived here before me had some kind of a deck and just walled it in. They half-arsed pretty much everything. They didn't lay a proper foundation, finish the walls, and tried to do it as cheaply as possible. So it looks like I'll have to strip everything back to the studs. Because of the crappy work, it has mold on a lot of stuff from water leaking in, and the interior plywood has pretty much rotted out.

Here's a few pictures of how the 'sunroom' looks right now. All I've done so far is just clean it out and remove the carpet.

Interior Panoramic:

Exterior Left Side:

Exterior Right Side:

3D Model Of Project:

To start the project, I want to install a proper brick foundation that matches the rest of the house, and add some stairs that will lead out to a future patio. Right now, there are just a few posts holding the whole thing up. Here's a picture of the underside of the room:

Left Side:

Right Side:

First things first, I need to get the right brick. How do I figure out what brick will match my foundation short of chipping one out and going to lowes or some place like that?

Next, the room is about 8'x11' or exactly 86.5 square feet. How do I determine how many bricks I'll need to purchase?

Lastly, I know very little about laying a brick foundation, but think that this would probably be a project more like putting a brick skirt on a mobile home? I've tried finding some videos on the process on youtube, but they are all terrible. So, what are the steps involved in laying the brick foundation? How deep & wide should I dig the trench to lay the concrete that will be the base for the bricks (is it called the footer?). Finally, how should I handle the wood support posts that currently hold up the room? Should I saw them off and then use a jack to hold the room up while I lay the foundation, or should I just leave them be?

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I really appreciate it. Time to get to work!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-14, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
The pros will be better at answering your questions but this will get them started:

Where are you located? Location will determine things like footer depth and construction methods.

Old 08-31-14, 10:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The original post is obviously in GaGa land. Can anyone restore it?

Old 08-31-14, 01:52 PM
J
I'm not sure what happened to the original post? Weird.

I'm located in Huntersville, NC.

If you guys want to see the album of photos I have so far of the project, you can view them here:

Home Remodel Slideshow by jdlever | Photobucket

I had another question. If you look at the left side of the room, right where the gutter spout comes down, that's where the room ends. Now I need to remove the siding right there to install the windows, but I'm not sure how to cut it? Should I just use a pair of tin snips? Is there a good way to make sure I make a straight cut without taking every bit of siding off?

Old 08-31-14, 03:07 PM
Remove the siding by unzipping it and lifting it off the nail heads. By not pulling the nailheads, you are assured to have the siding in the same position as it was in the beginning. Don't skimp on removing the siding. Having it in your way will frustrate you. Replacing it is no problem. Cut the siding with tin snips, or a slide saw with the blade in reverse. Again. Take it all off to clear the area of the window.

Old 08-31-14, 03:39 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The post is an GaGa land? No wonder I couldn't find it. I was in LaLa land.

Old 08-31-14, 04:01 PM
Turn left and go three blocks to Ga Ga land I tried to recover the post from his profile, but can't.

Old 08-31-14, 05:22 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The ratio of images to number of posts by member caused it to be moderated. The first post should now be visible.

Old 09-01-14, 04:02 AM
J
Ah! Great idea on the nail heads chandler. Took me a minute to understand what you meant by unzipping. I'll definitely do that

Old 09-01-14, 09:06 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The ratio of images to posts? Who stays up all night thinking of those things?

Old 09-02-14, 12:24 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't think you want a "brick foundation." But rather, a concrete block foundation, on concrete footings, faced with brick veneer. The visible gaps between your existing columns supporting the main beam indicate they aren't supporting very much. You need to determine if they're resting on concrete footings, or simply sunk into the soil. If that's the case, you should consider yanking everything and starting over (after proper temporary supports are in place), with poured concrete footings and either block or poured concrete stemwalls.

You should check with your local AHJ to see what they require for submitting a building permit application.

Old 09-05-14, 11:34 AM
J
Updates:

Checked the wood supports, and it looks like they're just set in the ground, no concrete or anytyhing

Got probably 95% of the demo done on the room, and was right that it was formerly used as a deck:

Now comes the fun part. Got the door, and in 30 minutes I'm heading over to lowes to get some windows at a good price. Here's the rub. I need to basically take 2 of the 54h x 28w windows and make them into a twin window because I can't find any double windows at a decent price. So when I'm done, I'll basically have 2 singles side by side. I don't have a lot of room to work with. Each area is 62" wide, and each window is 28" wide x 2 = 56" wide total.

Any tips on taking single windows and making them into doubles. They'll fit if I have to frame each on individually, but just barely (I hope).