Deck Staining

Old 09-06-14, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Staining

My deck is approx. 20x15 constructed using pt lumber. Late last summer I cleaned the deck using a deck cleaner, then applied a stain purchased from a big box store. I won't name the brand I used. Problem is the new stain has peeled off probably half the deck leaving the wood exposed. I want to restain the deck before winter arrives. Am I going to have to remove all the old stain? It's a redwood color & I'm hoping the new stain will cover the old. Hoping. What do u guys think? What's the best way to proceed? Thank.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-14, 11:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
It would help to know what stain you used along with how you cleaned the deck so we can figure out why it peeled. There is a big difference between cheap stains and quality ones. Also while a deck stain is ok to use on siding, a siding stain should never be used on decking! Pics might also be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

I'd start by washing the deck and see how the existing stain fares. Some stains [mostly waterborne] can only be recoated during a certain time frame or after they are well weathered. For the most part, all the other stains can be recoated at any time. Is the existing stain a toner, semi-transparent or solid? Latex, waterborne or oil base?

Old 09-06-14, 02:47 PM
Ok, I used Olympic Deck Cleaner, applied it with a brush & roller. Thoroughly rinsed with water. I waited till the next day to stain it to be sure it was totally dry. The stain is a semi transparent, oil based. The stain is made by Behr, purchased at Home Depot. First time I ever used it. I've used other brands & never had any problem.

Old 09-06-14, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oil base stain can be reapplied at any time provided the wood is dry and clean. Depending on how the remaining stain cleans up you'll probably see a difference between where you have one coat versus two. I've always bought most of my coatings at a paint store instead of at a paint dept so I don't have much hands on experience with Behr's coatings but they don't have the best reputation

Staining the next day is bare minimum for the deck to dry out from the cleaning process, it may have been good and dry but a little hard to say. While I have on occasion rushed it a little when using latex stain, I like to give it several days drying time, especially if using an oil base stain.

Old 09-06-14, 03:48 PM
Thank for replying. Yes, I'm not too impressed with Behr especially since it peeled! I also didn't like the color which has way too much red tone in it & didn't resemble the store sample at all. I want to change the color & I'm hoping the new stain will hide the ugly red which is on the deck now.

Old 09-07-14, 04:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can make subtle color changes with semi-transparent stain although there will likely be a color difference between coating over the existing stain and the raw wood. I'd clean the deck first and then reevaluate what stain to use.