Putting new roof on deck

Old 09-06-14, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Putting new roof on deck

I have an 16 by 18 foot deck that I covered several years ago by installing 16 ft 2x4's rafters and covering with corrugated plastic sheets. I have decided to redo the roof by using 2x6 rafters and covering with 26 gauge metal roofing, each panel 3 feet wide.
Should I put the rafters on 16 or 24 inch centers?
Should I cover the top with OSB and felt and install the metal over the felt?

As a matter of information-- The present roof is supported with four 4x4 metal poles on the corners with 4x4 PT wood spanning the 18 feet. There are metal support poles halfway between the poles so that the most the 4x4 will span without support is 9 feet. I also have a 3x3 metal pole spanning the center to support the rafters at the mid point between the 4x4's on each end. To make it more clear, the rafters sit on a 4x4 on one end , sit on a 3x3 metal pole at 9 feet and rest on the 4x4 on the other end.

Will this setup support 2x6, OSB, felt and a metal roof without sagging?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-14, 10:21 PM
If the "metal poles" being used are light gauge, thin-walled material, it's possible they will buckle and deflect when loaded too heavily. Another possible weak area is the use of 4 x 4 wood members as beams for supporting the rafters. You'd get better performance (less deflection) by using beams that are deeper than they are wide.

Old 09-06-14, 11:26 PM
The steel poles are very heavy gauge, very heavy in weight and substantial. They are not aluminum. Maybe I can replace the 4x4s with 4x6s, but don't need to increase the height more than 2 inches. Had a tornado go over my house in April and the top did not budge. Would like to get other opinions on whether the 4x4s are adequate. The metal pole issue is not a factor.