deck vs patio

Old 09-12-14, 09:34 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
deck vs patio

Later on when I get home from work I shall try to post a pic of the back of house, but for now, I ask the question deck or patio? My wife is thinking deck, nothing fancy but something that runs off the house and get you off the ground even if you have to take a few steps down from the house. I am more on the side of patio, thinking it would be alot easier for me / us to handle putting it in, it would be cheaper (I'm guess) + I like the privacy of the patio, not looking into everyones backyard and everyone not looking at us.
I'm not sure what the wife is thinking, but I'm not a deck builder and I don't think that is one job that I would take one, as for the patio I think I could take that on.

Old 09-12-14, 09:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Deck wood needs to breathe and therefore needs to be some distance above the ground - hard to tell from your post, would that be an issue?

Old 09-12-14, 09:57 AM
H
No that should not be an issue. Putting in a deck or a patio should not be an issue its more of what one to go with.

So we do get some hard winters if that makes a difference.

Old 09-12-14, 10:01 AM
S
Group Moderator
A concrete patio is less maintenance than a wood deck, that would be a factor in the decision making for me. That said, the issue of privacy is more important so I would be definitely thinking patio based on your question.

I didn't understand the part about getting off the ground - can you explain more of what your wife is seeking?

Old 09-12-14, 02:21 PM
H
I didn't understand the part about getting off the ground - can you explain more of what your wife is seeking?
I'm thinking she means that a deck your off the ground not tracking dirt / mud / grass / etc... all over the deck as much as you are a patio. When cutting the grass having to brush off or when it rains if mud gets on the stones stuff like that, even a deck that might be 1 or 2 feet off the ground would do the trick. I'm not thinking anything to fancy like I said, something that works.... Concrete for a patio, I was think more along the lines of patio stones. lots of time to figure it out this is going to be next years project.

Old 09-12-14, 02:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
OK, I can understand that argument about being off the ground.

Have you started pricing anything? Maybe start there and see if that makes anyone change their mind.

Old 09-12-14, 05:28 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
A concrete patio is definitely the easier of the choices but I'm not sure of the cost comparison. A deck will require more maintenance but a concrete pad will also need some care over the years. A patio made of pavers is very nice (and can rich looking) but requires a LOT of preparation and work and also needs yearly maintenance. A deck will raise you up and is more visible to outsiders as you use the deck. A patio is at ground level and if a fence is involved you will be totally hidden.

Old 09-13-14, 04:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
You could pour a raised patio but that adds more work/cost to the project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: