Restoring surface of pressure washed wood deck

Old 09-13-14, 11:40 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Restoring surface of pressure washed wood deck

i had 1 of my guys p/w nagzilla's deck last yr using 4Kpsi @ 4gpm pressure wshr,,, even w/turbo nozzle, he got too close & opened up the grain,,, its something to be done before we put this place up for sale,,, i'm not thrilled w/latex stains as i think they're just coarse ground pigmented paints,,, can't remove all the latex so oil-based is out.

what do you guys think of the ' restore ' type product for deck resurfacing ? we tried it before rustoleum bought them ( synta back then ) & it was a nitemare,,, HOWEVER, have seen mention of it in these forums & perhaps improvements have come about.

i really don't want to start replacing deck boards

Old 09-13-14, 11:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't have any 'hands on' experience with the restore type coatings but IMO they are disaster waiting to happen. While those types of deck coatings will make a deck look nice, I'd expect them to have a short life and even worse is the prep that would be needed once that thick coating failed. I'd use a quality solid deck stain before I'd go thru the trouble of replacing the decking.

Old 09-13-14, 01:55 PM
S
i agreed, mark, but that's why i asked,,, that stuff is gawda'mighty thick + its probably still a large pita to apply,,, add to that i'd not much of a fan of anything sold by apron/vest stores we used it prior to the sale to rustoleum so i was hoping rust's folks had gotten it straightened out,,, yes, i see the ' barefootin' ' commercials but usually h/o's will believe anything if its a happy 30sec

Old 09-13-14, 03:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't think it would be overly difficult to apply [but I've been applying paint coatings my whole life] and I don't doubt that it gives a nice looking finish BUT when moisture gets under coatings, they tend to pop ... and it's highly unlikely that you'd be able to coat the edges well even if the top of the coating didn't crack from being exposed to the elements. I find the thought of having to 'fix' the deck after that type of coating failed to be scary

Old 09-14-14, 08:06 AM
S
the 1st time it happened, we used Encore For Wood Decks & Docks | Encore Coatings [ no $ interest ] then nagzilla stated she didn't like the fine aggregate in the coating,,, next yr, naggie wanted the deck redone so we again laid on sher-wms deck stain,,, no one can yet convince me its not another name for paint

personally i like encore but i have to live with nagzilla

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: