Deck bench question

Old 09-14-14, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck bench question

Hi.

We're redoing the back of our house and I constructed my deck last fall. I was planning on just doing simple railings using 2x2 ballisters connecting directly to the deck wall but ran out of time.

While I was on vacation this summer I came across this deck at a vacation house and decided I liked the idea of a bench:

This is the deck, stairs will be where the red arrows are. In the first photo the stairs will run against the wall (heading towards the back gate):

Second set of stairs where the red arrow is. Blue marks the approx area where we'd like the bench:

Obviously I need to construct a return, I came across this photo on the 2x4 basics website which looks fairly clean"

However it looks like the 4x4 posts in the above picture might go all the way to the ground which isn't the case on mine, so I was planning on doing a notched 4x4 similar to what's shown on this page to attach to the outside of the deck:

How to Install Deck Railings and Balusters : How-To : DIY Network

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38280[/ATTACH]

Anyhow, I have some questions:

1) Does anyone have a pointer to a set of plans, or sets of plans which I might easily adapt to what I'm trying to do (partial bench)? Or pictures of a finished deck. Most of the pics I find are just one pic of a sample deck and I was hoping to find something more detailed.

2) Would people recommend the 2x4 basics metal brackets? Amazon sells them (link) or are there any plans available to construct your own from wood.

3) Any other tips/suggestions I have compound miter saw, table saw (w/ dado), router etc.

thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-14, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
With your deck being only a foot or so off the ground, technically there are no requirements for a handrail, so you can build your bench. If it were over 3' high, you could not build it without making the backrest an additional 34-38" above the seat level. This is a safety thing, to prevent children from climbing over the handrail from the seat and falling. This type seat is not really approved unless you make that modification. Notching a 4x4 will not allow sufficient stability. Take a look through these prescriptions for deck construction. It more or less tells you the best method and what to avoid, such as notching 4x4's. http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf