New House and Possible Deck Ledger Issue.

Old 09-28-14, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New House and Possible Deck Ledger Issue.

I am new to the forum and had a question about my deck ledger. The previous owner had some water damage right near the sliding glass door inside the home. During the inspection it was noted that there did not look to be any deck flashing going on. I want to make sure that I do not have any water damage in the future, so I am trying to figure out what I can do with my situation.

I went ahead and pulled up a board to see exactly what I am dealing with, and I noticed a concrete block right under the deck. InName:  IMAG1869.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  34.1 KB the first picture the concrete "Block" runs from the opening I made near the front of the sliding door to the Line in the board, which is close to the end of the sliding door.

Here ire a few photos of the concrete in question -
Name:  IMAG1864.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  20.6 KBName:  IMAG1865.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  20.0 KBName:  IMAG1866.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  21.0 KB

Here are a few other shots that show the ledger and I notice there is a gap from the end of the deck boards closest to the sliding door that had a lot of debris in it and it goes under the sliding glass door pan. The gap seems to drop down directly on the concrete-

Name:  IMAG1863.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  29.1 KBName:  IMAG1862.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  39.6 KBName:  IMAG1861.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  36.6 KBName:  IMAG1870.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  24.8 KB

Thanks and let me know everyone's thoughts, as I would like to try and do something about this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-14, 07:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Built completely wrong.
Should have been built as a free standing deck.
Never should have been that close to the door threshold.
Decking never should have been that close to the siding.
Door needs to be pulled and a sill pan, flashing, and support added under the outside edge of that threshold where it sticks out past the sheathing.
PVC limber works great for that support.
Looks like they used ungalvinized bolts and washers.

Old 09-29-14, 08:30 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'll side with Joe, in that I could not find a single attribute to correct construction of the deck. In your climate, there should be about a 6" drop from the door frame to the deck boards to keep snow at bay. Fasteners are zinc coated and not HDG. As are the joist hangers not being ACQ compatible. A free standing deck would be better since it does not require poking holes into an otherwise non leaking wall, and you can keep the benefits of continuous siding.

Old 09-29-14, 11:57 AM
Thank you both for the info. Well that is frustrating. I am a novice and this seems like it could be a major headache. Do I call a company to take a look at the deck and see what they can do for me, or what? Really would hate to have water damage.

JoeCaption1 is what you are recommending a job for a true novice, like myself? I want to know what kind of options I have, really would like to limit any possible issues. Would installing a roof water diverter be my best solution?

Thanks,
Kman

Old 10-01-14, 12:47 PM
If I were to install some sort of awning above the door, would that be my best case scenario? Pushing water away from the door?

Old 10-01-14, 05:33 PM
Until Joe returns. If it were mine, I would demo it and start out right, making it a free standing deck at a proper height to the threshold, using proper joist hangers, fasteners and bolts. Yes, it is a DIY friendly exercise, with our help, of course Really, we are willing to help you step by step if you wish to pursue it. I don't think an awning is going to solve the problem. I know you want to wish it away, but you have problems that should have been dealt with upon initial construction.

Old 10-02-14, 10:11 AM
Sounds expensive. lol

Yes, that is great, a step by step would be really a great thing for me. I am a greenhorn. Any ballpark estimates on what kind of costs I might think to encounter? Also, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Would it be reasonable to cut off about a 2 foot or so section coming from the house to accomplish this feat, or is a full demo of the entire deck needed? Let me know what kind of info I can get you and the team here at DIY and I surely will!

Kman

Old 10-02-14, 02:05 PM
What are the measurements of your deck? It will be a bunch of physical work, but rewarding knowing it is done right. Do some reading first so you will know the basics before you start. Here's a good reference: http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Old 10-06-14, 10:41 AM
I will take some measures and ad up a bit. I will check back in once I do that. Thanks