Low Profile Deck/Patio design

Old 10-04-14, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low Profile Deck/Patio design

Hey folks,

I am trying to get started building a deck and would like to get some feedback on the design of the framing and board layout. The plan is to attach it to the existing concrete slab and make it the same width as the covered porch. There is only about a 6" drop from the existing porch to the ground, so I'm a little worried about how to fit the framing and make the deck flush with the slab.

Also, please let me know if the framing layout is alright or if I'm completely off. I'm planning to use Ipe or Cumaru for the deck boards so I want to make sure I get everything right from the start.

Board layout:
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 5610
Size:  34.2 KB

Transparent boards w/ framing:
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2312
Size:  38.3 KB

Framing:
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 4969
Size:  43.1 KB

Overhead shot of boards over framing:
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 3866
Size:  43.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-14, 09:17 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I can't comment on Tx code. Here in NY, a permit isn't need for a deck under 18" high but footings are needed. You didn't mention what your plans were to attach the deck to the patio.

Old 10-05-14, 05:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

How close will the framing be to the ground? If there isn't sufficient air flow under the deck it's apt to stay damp under it and shorten the life of the lumber.

Old 10-05-14, 10:49 AM
For something that's built so close to the ground, I'd forget anything framed with wood and instead use decorative concrete or paver stones. Both would have close to zero maintenance requirements, and will never rot like your deck framing will.

Old 10-05-14, 04:16 PM
Pulpo - I've checked with the city and a permit isn't required for my deck...I also forgot to include the footings in the drawing. I plan on putting a concrete pier at each corner and then a couple in the middle for support and bolting the ledger board to the front of the concrete patio.

marksr - ventilation is definitely one of my main concerns. There's only about 6" from the patio to the ground and a slight slope away from the house...probably another 4-6" drop from the back side of the deck to the front edge. If I use 2x6 framing then it will be pretty close to touching the ground. Suggestions would be much appreciated. Should I dig a few inches down and backfill with gravel to help with drainage?

BridgeMan45 - I might end up going that route in the end, but I really prefer the look of a wood deck so I'm leaning that direction for now.

Old 10-05-14, 04:28 PM
Also, here's a photo of the actual space...

Name:  20141005_171839.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  27.6 KB

Old 10-05-14, 08:12 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Why do you need a ledger?

Old 10-06-14, 04:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Gravel would help but you really need air circulation under the deck to dry out the framing. Personally I wouldn't consider wood for your deck, I'd either pour concrete or use pavers. Concrete will cost more upfront but is cheaper [no maintenance] in the long run.

Old 10-06-14, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Patio.

I don't think you'll have enough height above ground for a deck. If you do go with a deck, I see no reason for a ledger.