Adding Gable Roof over 3 Season Porch Tips/Advice/Recommendations

Old 10-06-14, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Gable Roof over 3 Season Porch Tips/Advice/Recommendations

First 2 pictures are my existing porch, how it sits.

The brick veneer on the front is falling away, the framing under the windows is another wall of brick, which i plan to replace with a stud wall, new windows, may relocate the door to the center.

It is all on an existing concrete slab, footings look to be in tact.

Basically, i want to add a gable above the porch area, for aesthetic purposes only. The house is long and needs something to break it up.

The last picture is what i am thinking, as far as having the fascia boards flush with the existing roof.

I want to have a full gable end, but do not want to extend the porch out any further so that i can utilize the existing concrete slab instead of having to pour additional footings, etc. I want to keep the same footprint, just extend the front facing wall up with a gable and essentially "setting" the new gable framing/roof on top of the existing roof. Obviously some shingles may need to be cut away to tie in the roofing which is fine. Should i be looking at ordering a truss package for something so small versus just building framing/trusses?

I plan to use LP smartside with lp smart trim and use some of the existing stone veneer on the corners of the porch.

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached Images    

Last edited by lilshaw09; 10-06-14 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Rearranged photos
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-14, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you know how to use a roofer's framing square, you can frame the gable yourself. I suspect doing so would be a bit less costly than having custom trusses fabricated and hung. Each set of rafters will have compound bevel cuts on their bottom ends, simple bevels on top.