Best deck restore/paint for old wood

Old 10-10-14, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best deck restore/paint for old wood

I recently bought a 27 year old house that had sat empty for 4 years. There is about 1000 sq. ft of deck that looks like it hasn't been taken care of in a long while. I've replaced the bowing and rotting boards and am now looking to cover up the old wood. The problem is that it was previously painted with an unknown paint. Half the deck is covered as well, so those boards and paint look great. The exposed areas are horrible. I'd like to cover it back up with a paint and was looking at the restore-type brands but am reading horrible reviews on them

Can anyone recommend a good paint that can cover up and seal the old boards?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-14, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Older decks generally look best with a solid body stain on them. You'd need to remove as much of the paint as you reasonably can before applying it. You probably need to clean the rest of the deck first as well.

Old 10-10-14, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
I agree, clean the deck well and apply a solid deck stain. Bleach/water solution is good for removing mildew, TSP is good for grime and slightly etching old paint to help the new coating adhere better. Be sure to rinse well! There will be a 'texture' difference between the new and old wood but the coloring will all be the same. Do you know if the existing coating is a paint or solid stain?

Old 10-11-14, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
once that deck's hit w/latex stain, its a goner & moves onto the ' ANNUAL HONEY-DO ' list OR, @ least, it does @ our house,,, every yr, p/w & another 3gal of sher-wms finest thankfully we'll be selling in a couple

talk'd w/our sher-wms' pro rep about sealing w/urethane top coat - same as we finish industrial floors w/their coatings,,, problem's their latex deck stains contain wax so i'm f'd,,, otoh, IF i were sher-wms, i'd be happy

general rule: 1 can apply wtr-bas'd stuff on solvent-bas'd,,, 1 CANNOT apply solvent over wtr