Patio Roof

Old 10-11-14, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Roof

Thinking about installing a patio roof using insulated panels.You can buy pre-cut kits but i thought i could save 30% or more by buying materials and installing it myself.Have questions for anyone having done this.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-14, 09:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

We'll need a lot more info. What type of roof do you intend to install? how will it be framed? attached to the house? You may need to cut out part of the slab to dig down and pour a footer to support the load. Pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 10-11-14, 11:47 AM
The roof will be inter=locking panels [foam sandwiched between two sheets of alum.] supported by an alum. frame work and uprights. This is a common type of patio roof used in Fla.

Old 10-11-14, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 227 Votes on 209 Posts
Saving 30% may not be very attractive when you consider that it will be a total loss when the first hurricane blows it away. I've put up a few of these types of rooms/covers (around 5) and know that wind is the primary concern. How the roof and beam attaches to the columns is the most critical part as well as how the posts are anchored to the ground.

One patio cover I worked on was done exactly as the mfg specified and it was still ripped off and blown away by a single strong thunderstorm. (they lived at the top of a hill, and insurance estimated it was a 80 mph burst/gust.) They had a 2nd company install another one. It blew off in the next similar sized storm.

Enough about that, whats your question?

Old 10-11-14, 10:53 PM
I moved from south fla. to west central / citrus county about four yrs ago and haven't had any high winds in that time,but you have given me something to think about. I found an online instructional that answered all my questions,thanks.