Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Closing in porch with existing slab and roof...what material to use for...

Old 10-12-14, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. I'm closing in my porch that has an existing slab and roof, about 8' x 23'. I'm going to use pressure treated for the framing and there are already several 4x4's in place per the roof. Will use the ez screen tracking for the screens, no glass at all. I plan on using the T1 exterior siding ripped to 2' wide for the porch walls for the inside and outside of the walls, primed and painted. The questions are (see pics):

1. For the window sills, what material should I use to cover the 2x4 and the interior/exterior T1 siding? I was looking at the PVC board material but I only saw those available in 1x4 widths. So, that would not cover either edge of the T1, only the 2x4 would be 'covered'. If there is a wider material I don't mind having a 1" lip or so coming to the interior of the porch so long as both cut edges of the T1 and the 2x4 is covered. My concern is that when it rains there will be water that pools on the sills so I want the best protection possible.

2. Where the floor mounted 2x4 and the T1 edge that is on the exterior side of the wall (large red square on the bottom of both pics), I saw a suggestion to raise the T1 about an inch and build a curved lip of stucco from the T1 to the slab to steer water away. The exterior wall will meet the existing slab. Any thoughts there?

3. Small red square: this is a water entry point so I plan on putting a small bead of silicone there between the edge of the sill material and T1 edge to push the rain water out also. Sound okay?

Thanks....

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-14, 03:36 PM
You're definitely on the right track with the idea of using PVC lumber for the windowsill, it's extremely durable and easy to work with. By checking around some you should be able to find it in a size suitable for what you need.

Your plan for where the wall intersects the slab is terrible! You're asking for the T111 to rot. You need to raise the edge of the concrete prior to building the wall on top of it. You can do this with a course of cement block or brick. Ideally you want deciding to be at least 4" above the exterior grade and preferably 6".

I'm not sure how the sliding mechanism for the screens actually works but your idea of silicone sealant in that area certainly sounds like a step in the right direction.

Old 10-14-14, 07:53 AM
So for the base of the wall, you're saying to use at least a 4" high cement base? The wall will only be 2' high (knee high). I'm thinking the interior wall will have the T1 at floor level as shown in the pick, exterior wall cut to 20" or so and the exposed brick the remaining 4".

How to secure the brick to the existing slab? Then frame on top of the brick using what type of fasteners for the 2x4s?

Or, use a different material for the wall. I've looked at fiberglass sheeting material but just looks too thin.

Thanks

Old 10-14-14, 07:29 PM
That would work fine although personally I would leave the brick exposed on both sides. As an alternative you could actually do the entire 2' wall out of brick and avoid the T1 entirely. I do agree the fiberglass sheathing is too thin.