removing porch metal railing

Old 10-13-14, 08:01 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing porch metal railing

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  40.1 KB

I have a pair of metal railings on the porch steps that have rusted away and literally broke off. I have the anchors that are still in the cement and I am trying to figure out how to remove them. The bolts are circular and no sockets I have fit over them. Someone told me to use a reciprocating saw and just cut it close to the cement but that will still be a hazard because I don't think it will cut evenly against the cement. Another suggestion was to drill a masonry drill screw bit into the bolt and then screw out the bolt. I tried to do that yesterday but the drill bit I had just lost its sharpness and didn't even make a dent in the nut. I think I need a more powerful drill like a masonry hammer drill but want to get some advice before I go and rent out the tools.

Last edited by cengineer; 10-13-14 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-13-14, 08:35 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A masonry bit is the wrong bit, and you never use a hammer drill to drill metal.
I'd just cut them off get the bracket out of the way and hit what's left with a 4-1/2" right angle grinder with a cut off blade.
Should be able to get them even with the concrete in about 1 min.

Old 10-13-14, 08:42 AM
C
thanks joecaption1. Do you think I can just use the right angle grinder anyway since renting both tools will be separate charges?

Old 10-13-14, 10:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
A cold chisel and hammer might be enough to knock the heads of the bolts. Have you tried turning them with a vise grip?

Old 10-13-14, 02:29 PM
M
Looking at the picture, I don't believe they are actually bolts. They look like drive pins which you just drop into the hole and then drive the center pin into tighten them. I would use a cold chisel and hammer approach first and if necessary a right angle grinder to remove the rest of it if it's still a problem. Actually after you use it chisel to get rid of most of it you may be able to just pound the rest of it with a hammer to smooth it off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: