Expansion Joint Caulk for stone walkway

Old 10-20-14, 06:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Expansion Joint Caulk for stone walkway

Hi all,
I put down a stone (Techo Block) walkway over existing concrete. Job turned out well, but there was one thing I overlooked:

The landing from the main house stairs to the sidewalk had an expansion joint where they let the slabs float (or maybe they didn't and it broke free, either way, they move independently).

I was smart enough to line up my joints there in case it ever shifted, but after one winter the grout broke right at that line. So I will definitely need something flexible to replace it. Joint is about 1/2", maybe a bit less.

What products are even out there? I was thinking closed cell foam to fill most of it and caulk up top, but I've never used caulk in this application.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-14, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Yes, a clean joint with foam backer rod will be best. Concrete grey polyurethane caulk is used... there's several good brands. Sika, BASF NP1, box stores will carry Loctite S10 polyurethane.... I've found that applying and tooling the sealant will give the best results.... using a bit of paint thinner to facilitate smoothing the surface out, and ensuring that the caulk is packed down into the joint where it can bond to the 2 surfaces. (It bonds to the backer rod too but since its flexible, that allows the caulk to stretch laterall as needed.)