rim pattern/screws

Old 10-20-14, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rim pattern/screws

I wanted to know which screws can be used and what pattern when attaching 2 outer rim joist boards,two 2 by 10, together on a free standing deck -they are supported by piers not 6 by 6 .Is it the same as when nails are used? is for deck frame.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-14, 09:50 AM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
Not a pro on this topic, but I have been using screws for a long time and they have their good side and their bad side. The bad side is they break, often. If you go back to remove them you discover many failed somewhere inbetween the install and removal process. By design they use a much harder steel and any amount of flexing they are history.

Their good side is they can pull boards together amazingly well. Nails are made of a softer steel and can flex without breaking (to a point). And that is why you should be using very large nails. If your wood is pressure treated, be sure to use compatible fasteners.

Pros, your input please.
Bud

Old 10-20-14, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i believe its every 16 inches with rows of 3 for nails .not sure if i should stay with same pattern and use 3 to 4 inch deck screws..

Old 10-20-14, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hopefully this may help answer it. Your first rim joist is attached to the joist ends using 3 each 3" HDG nails or 3"+ decking screws. When applying the outer rim, you will just be attaching it to the inner rim, and your 16" center of 3 each of 3" would apply.