Trex decking vs. other composites

Old 10-25-14, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trex decking vs. other composites

Hello,

I'm researching what type of decking to install, and I'm not familiar with the new types of Trex and how their materials compare to other makers. I know Trex has had lawsuit problems in the past but are their products now much better than they used to be?

Of Trex Select, Transcend, and Enhance - are the higher priced lines much better?

Are other composite makers considered higher quality at this point?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-14, 02:39 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Composites are pricy enough, and all composites will fade over time. I just completed a deck refinish and used a product called Evergrain from Tamko. Stuff was easy to work with and priced mid-range compared to Trex and Timbertech. I have used Rhino Boards in the past with some success as well. Keep in mind that composites expand and contract more than pressure treated lumber and care needs to be exercised during installation. Pay attention to your gaps and space according to the temperature during the installation. If cold, do not place too close together, if hot don't overgap as they will shrink. Will your deck receive a lot of direct sunlight? Dark colors will get hot to the touch and expand more than your grays will.

Old 10-25-14, 05:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is this a re-deck, or is it a new one? Many clients I have steered away from composites, not so much for the quality of the product, but because of their false sense of security in that the deck would "last forever". It will only last as long as your sub structure lasts, and if it is already old, the clock is ticking.

Cost is a big deterrent as well, when you consider a 16' board can cost upwards of $65.