Building a new temporary deck

Old 10-26-14, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building a new temporary deck

I'm looking for an inexpensive but quality way to upgrade a small deck/flat surface for a rent house I just moved into. The previous folks laid down 28 2x4x10 then threw some sort of outdoor connecting wood parquet looking panels on top of all of the lumber. All of the lumber was laid on top of the grass which I unfortunately discovered held a lot of moisture creating the only habitat for frogs, geickos, lizards, snakes, and other yard bugs. Weeds also began to grow through the cracks of the outdoor wood panels as well.

I would love to just pour some concrete but that's not an option being in our rent house.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-14, 03:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
As you are seeing there is no such thing as a "temporary deck" when you leave it down permanently. There are temporary deck panels that can be laid down and easily click together but I think the problem is the definition of temporary. The current deck probably looked good at first when it was temporary. Taking it up was just more work so time went by and it became sorta permanent and since not done properly problems arise.

Old 10-27-14, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Talk to the landlord, maybe y'all can work up a deal to do it right. It's somewhat common for materials you pay for to be deducted from the rent although it might be harder to collect for your labor.

btw - welcome to the forums Kyle!

Old 10-27-14, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
How much height do you have to work with? From the sound of what was done originally, a patio might be a better option.

That said, as Mark mentioned, please talk to the landlord first.