Installing T&G porch boards

Old 10-31-14, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing T&G porch boards

I am rebuilding a 30'x 8' covered rear porch on a 100+yr old home. After reconstructing the entire support structure consisting of 2x8's on 12"oc, I am planning on using a treated true 7/8" x 3 1/2" tongue and groove floor board. For perspective, joists are running the long way, with two (separate) doubled 2x8's serving as beams spaced about 10' apart. Porch is about 32" off grade and entrance is by yet to be completed (treated stringer and step boards) stairs in center of 30', leading from back concrete walkway to middle of long side of porch. I am looking for advice on attachment procedures for the floor boards. My choices seem to be: a)Rent a nailer and use a T-cleat, b) use a galvanized finished nail and handset with punch almost 1000 nails, c) Use an exterior coated small head deck screw, or d) hire a flooring contractor to install. I'm not sure cost of (d), but having done 95% of this myself thus far, that sort of defeats the purpose. However, having spent way more than I thought when I started (strange huh?) I don't want to screw up the final look. In (a), I cannot seem to find galvanized T-cleats to use in rented nailer, hell, I'm not even sure how to use a nailer. That almost leaves me with hand nailing or screwing, which I'm nor bad at, approx. 115 boards x about 8 fasteners per. I know that would take awhile, but I got time...unless I don't get it done before a heavy snowfall. Porch roof is supported by four (4) 8" tapered columns, which I'm also replacing and must be mounted directly over floorboards (each has stone pillar under) That will be another post/question
I'd sure welcome any suggestions or help, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-14, 05:00 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If it's the same or similar nailer that's used with interior oak floors, that's the way to go. The problem with renting one of them is that the models change & that's why you are having trouble finding the correct T-cleats. Call the manufacturer of the nailer. Otherwise, try a different tool rental. They may have a different model nailer. They are easy to use. It can't hurt to get a price from a floor guy, either.

Old 11-01-14, 06:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
B&C Eagle LC-2 2-Inch Galvanized L-Cleat Hardwood Flooring Nails (1, 000 per box) - Special Use Nails - Amazon.com may be a solution. Second option would be to install with galvanized trim screws, which have a smaller head.

Old 11-01-14, 09:01 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Tongue and groove treated boards? Considering how much a standard 5/4 treated deck boards shrinks over time, I think that this could be a tricky one. Tell us more about the wood you plan to use. Do you mean pressure treated? or some other treated?

FWIW, the galvanized cleats Larry provided a link for specifically say "for indoor use only" in the description.

Old 11-01-14, 09:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
I've stained quite a few porches with PT T&G although I've never installed them. Seems like I remember some of them being faced nailed but I don't know if they all were - blind nailing would look nicer!

Old 11-03-14, 08:20 AM
Not sure what the specific treatment is, but I have 3 samples which look very clean and clear. They are "kd" kiln dried (after treatment) and call for stain or painting all sides asap. Not sure the reasoning here if they are pressure treated.

Someone mentioned fastening with a galv trim screw. Would an exterior rated (coated) trim screw be okay?