What are my railing options for my balcony?

Old 11-03-14, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What are my railing options for my balcony?

I have a 12x8 walk out upstairs balcony that is above a downstairs porch. It has a flat roof on it with TPO but the contractor bailed and I need to install railings. I would like to use the white vinyl system but I don't think I can anchor them properly.

I basically have the header 10x2 that goes around and then joist every 16". The vinyl railing needs to be supported with a bracket from underneath (I cant get under it because of a roof on the underneath porch. And the posts are 4"x4" and I only have 2" on one side.

Can I install the system with 6" wood screws into the header? This would only be one side and then they inner 2 screws would go right into the roof OSB only.

What are my options?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-14, 05:23 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Railing

Some photos would help us help you.

Old 11-04-14, 06:28 AM
Not sure what a photo would do. I mean that I have a flat roof with TPO roofing that I need to put railings on. I don't have any pictures of the framing or structure. That is all now covered by the roof and the ceiling.

If I went with regular aluminum railings from Home Depot, would these just secure to the house and then the roof? Would it be secure enough? Seems like I don't have many options.

Old 11-04-14, 07:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
Generally I don't think just screwing down any railing system is sufficient. It may be OK for corner posts but not for the posts in a straight run. They are just too easy to push over. Generally I attach the structure like 4x4 posts for the railings into the framing below. I'm not sure what your options are if your roofing is already down and no accommodation for railings was made during construction.

Old 11-04-14, 07:58 AM
Well it seems that I have the framing that is an 8x2 on the 2 sides. Then there are 2 more pieces of wood (don't know the size, some sort of ?x2). So I have about 5.5' of width on the sides. I have the 4x4 posts in the 2 corners. But on the 12' run of the balcony I only have the framing header and then joists that are connected every 16".