Railing questions-Paint and Mounting

Old 11-09-14, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Railing questions-Paint and Mounting

1-Do you have to paint these railings? They are the regular aluminum ones that are common. I always assumed these were pre painted but after reading into it, they are just coated and primed. The reason they rust so fast is because people don't know to paint them.

Village Ironsmith 4 ft. Classic Rail-CR425 at The Home Depot

2-Can you secure these vinyl railings into the brick side of my house? I would just fasten the brackets to the brick and then slide the railings into it. Then I would not have to install a post against the house. Is this possible?

Veranda Regency 6 ft. x 3 ft. Composite White Rail Kit-SEC14 RW R13 KD at The Home Depot

Veranda Vinyl White Extra Select Bracket Kit-73012488 at The Home Depot

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-14, 07:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You say there aluminum, but the one in the picture is painted steel.
You would be far better if you plan on staying in this house for long to spend the extra money to buy aluminum powered coated railings and core drill where the post go and use epoxy to set them.
No rust, no screws to pull out or get loose and never need painting.
Those brackets can be installed with lead expansion anchors.
Going to need a hammer drill to do it.

Old 11-09-14, 08:05 PM
Install them how? Its on a balcony that already has a roof. I have to connect the 2 sides to the brick outside of my house and then install posts for the rest. But the posts have to be connected over the roof, into wood. I don't have many options.

Can you post pics or links to what you are talking about?

And I am looking at better quality aluminum ones and the cheap painted steel ones. Do the painted steel ones need to be painted before install?

Old 11-10-14, 04:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Do the painted steel ones need to be painted before install?
The better steel railing will come with a factory baked or powder coated finish and don't require any painting [unless the finish is damaged during install] for a long time. If they don't have a factory finish - they need to be painted. Generally it's best to prime/paint them prior to installation and then touch up as needed after they are installed.