Slippery stair steps when snowing

Old 11-12-14, 10:07 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Slippery stair steps when snowing

I have an outside staircase made of pressure-treated lumber. It get VERY slippery when snow/ice is on it.

What are some good options to give them grip, but will still allow for easy snow/ice removal?

I've thought about:
- thin metal grate screwed down over treads
- rubber mesh/mat screwed down over treads
- special paint (ie. Rustoleum Restore)
- outdoor carpet-type material

I'm looking for things that people have tried that are working out well!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-14, 11:11 AM
Received 136 Votes on 124 Posts
Anyone of those choices are good. I'm not a big fan of Restore, but this would be a good application.

Old 11-12-14, 04:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Old 11-12-14, 05:06 PM
M
Actually, the order you listed them in in your original post is the order I would put them in based on which one would work the best.

Your best option would actually be to remove the wood treads completely and replace them with Metal grate treads. With the open great treads the snow would fall straight through instead of building up on the surface.

Old 11-28-14, 04:50 AM
S
too many issues w/restore for us,,, metal grate will still fill w/snow & turn to ice,,, my $.03 is using ice melt OR strapping on grips for your boots

Old 11-28-14, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 555 Posts
My sister has a staircase made of pressure treated wood. I wanted to meet the rocket scientist that installed it. It is a deathtrap when it gets wet or icy.

I put on a light varnish with the grit you put in the paint. It works reasonably well but needs to be replaced every year. I only put it on the top of the wood as a tread.

I've known people to use the self stick treads. As long as the wood is sanded before installation they will stick well.

Old 11-28-14, 11:13 AM
L
Grit strips won't ice up?

I've also been trying to solve this issue for PT stairs and deck area to back door. I've wondered if self-adhesive grit strips that are used for diving boards and boats would also work for steps and deck, or if they would get wet and freeze over and also be slippery.

Anyone have experience with these grit-strips in winter with ice or snow?

Also, once the strips are down, are they permanent? I don't mind having permanent treads on the steps but am not sure we want permanent strips on the side part of the deck that goes to the back door. Thanks all.

Old 11-28-14, 11:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 176 Votes on 156 Posts
I don't know how well the grit strips work in snow/ice but I've seen a lot of it used locally, mainly to give extra footing when the wood is wet. They don't seem to stay put long term I've restained a lot of exterior stairs where they had worn off - all or in part. True to murphy's law, if you want to finish removing them - they seem stuck pretty good