Has anyone used Faux Beams for the exterior?

Old 11-15-14, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Has anyone used Faux Beams for the exterior?

Ceiling Beams | Faux Wood Gives You the Look for Less

I have PSL beams in the patio that need to be covered to look like wood beams. I have considered Faux wood beams. These are my concerns:

1. How well does the color last under sun exposure. In spite of manufacturer claims that they are UV stable, I worry the color will fade in only a matter of an year particularly with considerable amount of southern exposure in Southern California.

2. How well do they protect the PSL of termites, moisture and rodents?

3. These beams dont seem cheap. However, compared to other methods, will I be saving in labor and material?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-14, 07:54 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
It may be second nature for me, but I would not hesitate to build my own boxes before I would shell out the money for what they are asking on the link provided. If you work with a reputable lumber yard, you can get #1 grade lumber and build in your garage and transfer them to your porch when complete.

Old 11-16-14, 11:20 AM
Easier yet would be to simply install rough-sawn cedar on the PSL beams, in place, one board at a time. Staining the boards first would be my preference, in a down-hand position, as it would minimize the amount of stain dripping down into your face.

Old 11-16-14, 11:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
IMO a solid beam is best as it won't try to come apart as it expands/contracts with the temperature/humidity changes. Like Z, I'd build my own before I'd spend the money on those prefab ones. Whatever you decide, the finish on the top edge often gets neglected and takes the brunt of the weather

Old 11-16-14, 12:19 PM
it would minimize the amount of stain dripping down into your face
So I may not have the measles??

But seriously, the only thing IMO the prefabs offer is sealed corners at bottom. As Mark pointed out, problem area is at top.
Keep getting some ideas and you will see these beams can easily be made to look like wood. And not only look like wood, but any kind of texture you would prefer. I like the rough hewn look.