Porch Post Replacement Question

Old 11-16-14, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porch Post Replacement Question

I just replaced a wooden porch post that was rotten at the bottom with a synthetic wrap over metal post. I did read up on the project before hand and took my time with measuring and cutting. I used two jack posts as the post was at the corner of my house. I jacked them up about 3/4 of an inch higher than the existing post to make sure I could get it out easily. The old post was fastened at the top by two nails. It came out easily. I put the new post in place and used a square of 1/16" foam board at the top of the post to shim it in place before releasing the two jack posts. My thinking on this was that as the weight was released from the support of the jack posts the foam board will compress without leaving an unsightly. Now the thing that is bothering me is after removing the two jacks, the house has not settled much as I had expected. This is my first of two posts that I am replacing. Am I right to expect the weight will gradually settle onto the post in a day or two?
Thanks in advance any advice will be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-14, 01:05 PM
Depending on the structure of your home I would certainly expect it to settle over time especially if you left it jacked up on those Jack posts for any length of time.

Old 11-17-14, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Trying to understand the reasoning for having foam board instead of something solid
The foam will compress under load, don't know how much or over how long a period of time.

Old 11-17-14, 07:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
#1, 3/4" was way to much.
Only needed just enough to slide out the old post.
#2, Adding that foam is useless.
Once the pressure came off those jacks if the new post where not cut to short it should have settled back down as fast as you lowered it.