Runoff water into yard.

Old 12-10-14, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Runoff water into yard.

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some advice on what I can do to prevent runoff water from going into neighbor's yard. I am an auto detailer so I am constantly washing cars in my driveway. Here is a picture so you guys can see what I am talking about. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  31.6 KB

Thank you guys for all of your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-14, 09:59 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I'm guessing that your house is the one on the right since I see a hose near the back of the drive. With the two drives that close, I don't see much hope for not wetting your neighbor's drive. Can you wash the cars in the street and then pull them in the drive for vacuuming, waxing, etc?

Old 12-10-14, 10:13 AM
Hey Goldstar! Thank you for feedback... My house is the one on the left. I thought about street washing, but a lot of people like speeding through our neighborhood and I'm afraid to get hit by someone. I was wondering if a cinder block wall on top of the driveway would work to channel the water down the driveway :-?

Old 12-10-14, 11:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Generally a driveway doesn't have any type of footer and wouldn't be a good foundation for any block wall. You might try laying some 2x4s along the edge and see how that does at diverting the water.

Old 12-16-14, 01:06 AM
build a low conc curb along the edge - won't add much weight,,, put a jnt in it every 4' & it won't randomly crack,,, you could easily do it in a day

Old 12-16-14, 02:31 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I vote for the curb. You could probably get by using the proper construction adhesive and gluing down concrete landscaping bricks. If you do the latter be sure to use a wire brush to thoroughly clean the concrete and then remove the dust before adding the adhesive.

Old 12-16-14, 03:15 AM
Why install anything permanent for a temporary problem? Lay down a few wheat straw wattles, and be done with it. Most of them are reasonably priced, only 9" or 10" wide, and come in 10' or 15' lengths. The real beauty is that they can be removed and reset in just a few minutes.

Old 12-16-14, 03:30 AM
Good point, Bridgeman but IS it a temporary problem? The yard/driveway next door is obviously dirt and any water runoff (even from the sky) will cause erosion of that soil. Being proactive in controlling ALL runoff is a step towards good relations with the neighbor.

Old 12-17-14, 02:10 AM
wth is a ' wheat straw wattle ' ? ? ? quit makin' stuff up, bdge like furd's idea better'n mine,,, his is faster, cheaper, & not likely to substantially negatively impace the hood's attractiveness, either

Old 12-17-14, 03:11 AM
Google, or in this case, Yahoo, is your friend.

Straw Wattles | Erosion Control & Filtration Products