SIGH!.. i don't wanna be on the news

Old 12-30-14, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
SIGH!.. i don't wanna be on the news

Watched a another news report on a deck collapse and they showed that the reason for the collapse was that the deck was bolted only into the wafer board.. So I scurry downstairs and lift up the ceiling tile and realize that I am in the same predicament.. Sigh.. I dont want to tear my deck apart or drill homes through my studs... I was thinking of pulling up the first 4 deck boards and digging out 4- 24" deep post holes and do 2 sets of this. 2 posts holding up a 4x6x8 board running perpendicular to the joists. I would jack the 4x6 up to the bottom of the joists and then pour the concrete into the post holes and leave it for a couple days

My deck is 16' wide and 18" off the ground

Thanks
M.C

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-14, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
Why don't you want to drill holes? Probably the best solution is to provide a proper anchorage for your deck to the house.

If you have a crawl space you may hit your footers when trying to dig for posts so close to the house. If you have a basement the footers will be much deeper but then your sinking your posts into uncompacted fill dirt.

Old 12-30-14, 08:56 AM
Its is a basement and we have been here for 15 years so I would hope the dirt was settled enough.. I was planning on pulling up the deckboards anyways so I could screw them down so I can pull a couple up and spray for insects twice a year.. I also think Jtook that my deck was bolted into a (tress)?

Old 12-30-14, 09:10 AM
OK I really took a good look at it and On the level that the deck bolts in, there is a long tress and very few studs. So bolting into studs is not a option

Old 12-30-14, 09:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Post some pictures so we can see what your seeing.

Old 12-30-14, 12:34 PM
. a deck made of 2x12s 16" off ground... pic is one of the bolts coming through OSB board.. There are no studs at deck beam level.Name:  100_0348.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  29.8 KB

Old 12-30-14, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
How thick is that OSB and what's on the other side of it?

Old 12-30-14, 12:46 PM
Hang in there for more input.
This doesn't look anywhere near an acceptable way to attach a ledger board.

Your deck is 16 feet wide. How deep is it??

Old 12-30-14, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Judging by the lamination I'd say that the deck is bolted into the center web of a truss. If you pound on the truss with a hammer about 6" or so away from the bolt does it sound hollow or solid. I'm wondering if they filled in the web on the outside so there is solid wood around the bolt the whole way or if there is a gap between your truss web and your deck.

Old 12-30-14, 02:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
You can back up from the house up to 25% of the length of the deck and still be in code with regard to cantilever. So back up a few feet to clear the footer. Dig holes 18" wide buy min 24" deep based on your being in Georgia. Pour a footer and set some 6x6 support posts to support a beam to hold up the the deck joists and take all weight off the house. The 6x6 should be notched such that the whole beam rests on the 6x6 and then is through bolted with 1/2" calvanized carriage bolts with nut and washer (2 per post). Would be turning your deck into a free standing configuration. Please refer to the following for additional specs. http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Old 12-30-14, 02:19 PM
That's beautiful Czizzi.

Old 12-30-14, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Brian - you should step outside from time to time You might be a little more restricted in CA. But being a Jack of All gives me the chance to broaden my knowledge base and keep me from burn out doing just one thing everyday. It also opens up a wider customer base, which as the owner/operator, is good for business. I love kitchen and bath work, but am equally satisfied with deck work, flooring, tile, framing, carpentry, paint and everything else under the sun. Variety is the spice of life. And, if you are good at it, makes for a good living as well.

Old 12-30-14, 02:59 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Remember any footings you dig adjacent to your house footings must be at the depth of the house footings, so if you have a basement, that's gonna be tall footings. The link to the deck guide is impeccable and complete for what you need. Tough reading, but it won't steer you wrong.

Old 12-30-14, 03:28 PM
Sorry it took me so long (I had a unexpected guest)
1. It sounds hollow..
2. Deck is 16 x 16
3. OSB is 1/2 thick
Chandler, I am thinking of cZizzi's idea.. Why would the footings need to be that deep if the are feet away from the house? I would have to dig 10' that way

Old 12-30-14, 04:00 PM
Section 14:
PRESCRIPTIVE RESIDENTIAL WOOD DECK CONSTRUCTION GUIDE

ASSOCIATED DECK POST FOOTINGS
SHALL BE
PLACED AT THE SAME ELEVATION AS THE
EXISTING HOUSE FOOTING
IF LOCATED
CLOSER THAN
5'-0"
TO AN EXISTING HOUSE

If you exceed the 5' mark, then you are good to go. Just remember it can't be free standing with a 5' cantilever toward the house with no support at the house. I would submit a plan to an engineer to see if placing a 2x8 or so behind the web of the I joist and reinserting longer bolts would suffice, since the 1/2" OSB definitely will not.

Edit: In reading further, it appears the current attachments you have may be OK to provide stability only, and allow you to install your post and beam outside the 5' parameter.

Last edited by chandler; 12-30-14 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 04:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Darn, a little used rule in my neck of the woods. The water table is so high in a coastal area that there are not any basements around here. Therefore, footers for the house are never that deep that the rule would apply other than standard frost depth. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

Old 12-30-14, 04:30 PM
Z, I think if he leaves the bolts in the I joists for stability, he will be relieving most of the downward pressure by installing the post and beam at or just outside the 5' mark to comply. It will technically be a free standing deck with attachments for stability. Thoughts?

Old 12-30-14, 04:33 PM
Elweezo, curious are you in the older part of Morrow off Highway 54 or down toward Mt. Zion Rd. Reason I ask is in the older residential part, your soil is pretty stable, while down toward Mt. Zion with all the new construction, it may not be and will need more footing depth to clay.

Old 12-30-14, 05:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry, I have repaired multiple decks where, say the deck was attached directly to a bay window. Obviously not to code as is, but dug 24" deep footers and ran a support beam a couple of feet out from the house and passed inspection with flying colors. Inspector did not make me detach from the bay, but as you suggest, relieve the pressure on the bay. Exactly what I see as the solution to Elweezo's situation, just had not planned on him digging so far down.

Old 12-30-14, 05:32 PM
LOL...I wondered why you had that "keep Clayton county beautiful" on another thread.. But I am not in Morrow, I am in Rockdale county. Sometimes my IP address shows Morrow or Laganville.. weird.. I will look at my profile and fix it, if that is what it is reporting.. I am amazed that there is a rule for that but shmucks can bolt your deck to OSB board and get away with it..

Old 12-31-14, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
The reason they want adjacent footers to be to the same depth as the house footing is because of the over dig to create the house footings. Digging close to the house almost guarantees that you're digging in the fill for the house construction. Going as deep as the house footings helps insure that you get to solid virgin soil. Your soil may be good enough but the code often errors on the side of dumb, simple and safe. You could hire an engineer to test bla... bla... bla.

The truth of the matter is your deck is currently standing anything you do will be in addition and offer additional safety. Your additional supports, footers or whatever you decide will prevent the deck from going "boom" without warning. Decks have been supported with pre-cast concrete blocks. Digging down a foot an pouring footers and going up from there would offer a lot of real support and peace of mind.

Old 12-31-14, 06:42 AM
Thanks for that explanation Dane. I was wondering why the footings would need to be that deep. I see now that the reason is to hit undisturbed soil.

Old 12-31-14, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Around here, without basements, they just dig a trench to the correct depth and pour the concrete for the footer directly into the trench. There are not any forms used, just rebar in the concrete prior to the pour. Therefore little to no undisturbed soil. But, man - what a kicker to have to dig that deep up north or anywhere else that you have basements.

Old 12-31-14, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the explanation.. That makes sense

Old 12-31-14, 04:38 PM
I also will add the footers and beams.. Just in case.. I mean if they allow bolts through OSB wood, what do they know?

Old 12-31-14, 05:07 PM
How "wise" would it be to put a jack under one of the bolt spots and take the weight off the bolt and then unbolt that spot so I can look through the hole to see if there is any other board there