free standing pergola

Old 01-04-15, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
free standing pergola

I have been searching and I see many different methods for footings on a pergola. My pergola will be out of redwood 10x10 in size..4x4 posts and 2x6 rafters. It will be going in my back yard that is currently just dirt. I don't want to cement the 4x4s into the ground. Can I just buy a concrete block that you burry into the ground that has one of those metal brackets to attach a 4x4 to it? Or do I dig a hole and pour my own concrete and stick a bracket into it to bolt down my 4x4 post? What method should I use for this?

Any help thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-15, 07:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No clue what you mean by a cement block you bury into the ground and has a bracket already on it, no such thing.
The right way is to use Sola Tubes set to below the frost line and just above grade and use Simpson Strong Tie post bases attach to it.
Far better to use 6 X 6's instead of 4 X 4's.

Old 01-04-15, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Some home stores have concrete "cookies" that is used for pole barn type buildings. They also have concrete piers for 4x4 post that just sit on the ground. I do agree that 6x6's might be a better choice.

Old 01-05-15, 09:20 AM
By cement blocks with brackets I meant concrete piers..

Are the sola tubes your talking about the same ones used for lighting?

Thanks I will look into using 6x6 instead.

Old 01-05-15, 03:57 PM
He might have meant "Sono tubes." They are cylindrical, heavy cardboard concrete forms, and come in various diameters and lengths.

Old 01-05-15, 04:29 PM
Ah found them..so what size diameter tube would I need for a 4x4 post and or for a 6x6 post? Also and how deep would I need to go... I noticed in some of the pictures I see that at the very bottom of the tube there is a bigger squared base of cement, is that necessary for my application?
Thanks

Old 01-05-15, 04:39 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
jereli - cheers to your project, it will look awesome when you are done.

However, you are building a large, top heavy structure, that if it is not built correctly and fails can, and will, cause bodily harm to someone. Your use of 4x4's sitting on deck blocks won't work. Your local building department code office can tell you how deep to dig you footings. They will also advise if you are in a seismic sensitive area and if that needs consideration.

Do you have plans you are working off of, or just winging it? We would like to help educate you so that nobody gets hurt. But in all honesty, your questions have displayed a general need for an increased knowledge base in basic building concepts before you proceed. It's all good, we all learned from someone. Z

Old 01-05-15, 05:19 PM
No not really winging it I already know how I will be building this. I can built it no problems and wood work be structurally strong its just I have never poured any footings before so I am not really sure on the footing part. And yes I can use more knowledge about this stuff and this site and many of you have helped a lot on varies things.