Benjamin Moore Arborcoat last 3 years?

Old 01-13-15, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Benjamin Moore Arborcoat last 3 years?

I used a Benjamin Moore Aborcoat solid stain on my deck about 3 years ago and it is is starting to peel on the bottom planks. Is that normal? I guess I expected it to last longer. I believe I cleaned the deck using Olympic Deck Cleaner using a scrub brush and then power washed the deck. I waited approximately 1 week before I stained the deck.

Do I have to re-clean the deck again before re-staining with the same color? Or, do I have to strip the deck down to the wood and start over?

Thanks.

-Shawn

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-15, 04:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Deck coatings have the shortest life because they generally receive the most weather. Some types of stain show the wear less than others but most need recoating in 2-5 yrs.

Normally deck stains will wear away rather than peel but it isn't unheard of for solid stains to peel. Is the peeling more of a cracking/peeling type failure or is it peeling in sheets? The latter would be cause for concern.

You should always wash a deck prior to staining! Normally there is no need to strip the deck when recoating with the same/similar type of stain. If the stain is degraded enough to peel you may find that pressure washing removes more of the stain. It's always a good idea to remove any coating that isn't bonded well with the substrate.

Old 01-14-15, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is wearing through to the wood. If I use the hose sprayer, it will continue to pull away (as expected). Since I plan to recoat with the same product, should I simply "clean" the deck with a 50/50 bleach/water mix or do I need to remove all of the product via pressure washer (PITA).

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by stickshift; 01-14-15 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Removed quoting of entire post
Old 01-14-15, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
If it's adhered well, you can leave it but any loose or peeling stain does need to be removed first.

The pressure washer is the easiest way to do it but be careful not to overdo the pressure and damage the wood.

Seriously? The weather in NJ is allowing you work on this right now? I can't even get my car into reverse when I start it in the morning it's been so cold....

Old 01-14-15, 08:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Why do you consider using a PWer a pain