Steps for patio: Paver vs Poured Concrete vs Wood

Old 01-19-15, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steps for patio: Paver vs Poured Concrete vs Wood

My wife and I are starting to plan for our patio installation on our new home. I plan to tackle the flat paver patio myself, but am unclear as to what the best choice for stairs. As you can see in the picture, we have both a patio door and man door on the back of the house so we'll need to do two sets of steps. I suspect the patio will be slightly lower than ground right next to the house so I am looking at at least 5 risers to get from the patio and into the house. I'm looking for suggestions on how to do the steps. I was thinking papers at first but got to thinking that that is at of steps for pavers and thus pretty expensive. The poured concrete steps would be less expensive but far less attractive too. Would steps are the one that I could do myself and would do them out of Trex or something similar to make it look nice and clean. Any thoughts from this crowd?
Name:  imported_on_Jan_19__2015_1_27_42_PM.jpg
Views: 9296
Size:  46.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-15, 08:11 PM
What if you use the premade concrete steps and then bonded pavers on top of them? That would make them match the rest of the patio. Since you are not going to have anything else wood, wooden or Trex steps would look a little strange. If an alternative have you thought about building a deck? Considering it looks like your property slopes down going away from the house that might be a very nice solution.

A deck would be far less expensive and much easier than pavers also. By the time you level the ground and excavate deep enough to install a sufficient foundation you're going to spend a lot of time and money.

Old 01-20-15, 04:44 AM
I had thoughts about that as an option as well. My one concern is that we probably want a bit of a landing at the top. If we did wood I might make it big enough to hold the grill.

And we have considered a deck, but we're the corner lot and we don't want to be on display any more than we already are. Getting down to ground level will allow us to get some decent landscaping to hide behind.

Old 01-20-15, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I'd also go with a wood deck. Besides the extra cost for concrete there is a good bit of site preparation needed before the concrete can be poured.

Old 01-20-15, 04:48 AM
Oh and the yard doesn't slope too badly. When I got estimates for patios last year no one really said anything about the slope.

Old 01-20-15, 05:08 AM
We've also considered stamped concrete which I forgot to mention. And in case it wasn't clear in my first post, we'll be doing two sets of steps. The 14' measurement was just in case someone asked.

Old 01-20-15, 07:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
I think you have enough height that I would be thinking deck instead of patio as well.

Old 01-20-15, 08:03 AM
I agree that we're high enough that we were thinking deck, but given the corner lot and requirements in our community for no hedges or fences above 6' tall, we're really leaning towards patio.

In case anyone is wondering why the stuff is so high, we put 9' ceilings in the basement and the builder didn't tell us that meant he house would be a foot further off the ground due to the sewer line depths in the area.

Old 01-20-15, 08:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
My parents house had wood steps leading down to a concrete patio when they bought it - I don't think you need to rule out wood just because you're going to have a concrete or paver patio.

You can buy pre-cut stringers for stairs at the big box stores.

Old 01-20-15, 08:22 AM
My parents house had wood steps leading down to a concrete patio when they bought it - I don't think you need to rule out wood just because you're going to have a concrete or paver patio.
That is what I was thinking as well. If I do wood I could use ipe or something as well and make it pretty nice. It would also allow for a small area at the top to put a gas grill so that I don't have to run up and down the steps when going in and out of the kitchen. I could always use the weber kettle grill on the patio when I want to use charcoal :-)

Something like what is pictured in this here seems reasonable to me, but I don't know the general thought is.

Last edited by bainbridgematt; 01-20-15 at 09:30 AM.