Building a deck

Old 01-21-15, 11:53 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Building a deck

I am soon to begin building a deck on the back of my house. My friend, who is a pretty good carpenter, is high on building a floating frame to rest on the top of 6 6" x 6" posts that will be cemented in the ground. He doesn't want to attach it to the existing building. Once the frame (or box) is built he will then place and nail the joists to the top of the box. He has built several of them before and he tells me it won't go anywhere. I have a concern that since it will not attach to the house it could actually 'slide' off the posts if someone were to bump it (it's near the driveway). There also is not much space from the ground to the top of where I want the deck to be built and I have an access opening that should be clear in case I ever need to get under that part of the house. If the frame were to be anchored to the house it will be done with a 2 x 10. That would leave me with about 20" crawl space underneath but if he puts the joists on top of the frame the crawl space would be about 10". I am just looking for ideas from someone who has done that type work so when he and I discuss it I will have a better knowledge of what I am doing. Thanks.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-15, 12:47 PM
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
The only thing that I see wrong is setting the posts in concrete, and maybe you misunderstood what he meant there, but I otherwise would do it just as he suggests. You would dig the holes, fill them to a bit above grade with concrete, and set the posts on those piers. Then you would have beams, what you are calling the frame or box, which are two or three 2x's sistered together, appropriately sized for the span, then the joists on top of those. The beams do not need to be against the house, so you could still maintain the 20" clearance that you mentioned at the entrance to the crawl space. No worries about water intrusion and subsequent rot at the house joists. Tell him that you'll buy the beer if he'll sketch it up for you, and I think it will make sense.

Old 01-21-15, 12:53 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Joists

The profile could be kept low by attaching the joists inside the beams with joist hangers rather than placing the joists on top of the beams.

Old 01-21-15, 04:02 PM
Good point! Using joist hangers as Wirepuller suggested may be a viable option, depending on how close you are able to set the posts to your home. So there are options, which the reason that I suggest you sit down with your buddy, ask him to sketch it out, even just crude lines on a piece of notebook paper, and interrupt him as needed in order to satisfy your own piece of mind.

Old 01-21-15, 04:11 PM
Here you go...

http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Print and read through this. It is fairly comprehensive, but still easy enough reading, and might help fill some gaps when you talk with your buddy.