need advice - patio cover

Old 02-14-15, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need advice - patio cover

I have a 16x16 area in a "U-shaped" area. Gutters are 8'4" high. Torn between a red cedar pergola or actually framing/roofing cover. Only plan on covering 12' so don't get "tunnel" affect. Need shade and rain protection. West exposure. Do plan on decking floor @ 6" so I don't have to step down from two side doors. Any pics or ideas or thoughts??

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-15, 12:26 PM
Received 121 Votes on 111 Posts
If it was me I think I would contract an awning service to erect an awning slanting down from the roof towards the pool. It can be retracted in the early morning and afternoon then let out in the western setting sun.

The other option is to use a peaked roof awning slanting from the middle towards each side. But I don't think that would look good. Most awning services will also remove and install each season. Using a service will eliminate any maintenance by you but at a cost. Building a structure will be more permanent and require regular maintenance.

BTW...I would love to see a picture of this during a bright summer day. Looks nice.

Old 02-14-15, 02:52 PM
I would go with the freestanding pergola and would avoid tying into the house. This is a perfect place to keep it simple and elegant. Maybe much bigger posts and beams than needed.
Shade is no problem, I'd like to see what others have to say on the rain factor.

Old 02-15-15, 07:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A few comments on your decking idea.
There needs to be some step down from those doors if at least a few inches, if it's even water's going to get in under the door and take out flooring and side of the house.
Wooden decks need air flow under them to dry out and 2 X pressure treated is not direct grade rated and will rot out.

Old 02-15-15, 08:29 AM
Received 121 Votes on 111 Posts
Here is what I pictured.

and here is pergola idea.

The problem with pergola is that you still want to shade the sun and an awning will still be needed,