Deck over concrete

Old 02-21-15, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck over concrete

To make a long story short when my house was built ,my concrete subs sucked big time.Therfore my front porch has an concrete problem as to where not enough back fill and not enough packing went on causing concrete to settle down from what it should be.I've decided to frame it up with treated 2x4 on 16" centers.The porch is 38' x 6'.Then Im going to deck it with T&G 1x4 cypress to match what I have on the ceiling.It seems like a pretty easy job.I am up for helpful hints to make the job easier.Any suggestions appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-15, 07:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You said it was sinking. In which direction? If it was sinking toward the foundation, it needs to be corrected before you do anything to keep water from pooling against your house and causing leaks. A picture or two of your situation would help us guide you better. How much drop do you have from your threshold to the concrete? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 02-21-15, 07:42 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Decks need to breath, your proposal leaves little in the way of cross ventilation for what you already have described as a drainage problem. Also, any decking short of pressure treated will have a very short lifespan, particularly a pine bead board.

Old 02-21-15, 10:16 AM

its sinking all over really but the worst is where there is a expansion joint.and do have to divert water away form my house.this is a coverd porch and not a lot of water gets on it.and I have it figured where my threshold step will be 7" and the step off of porch is 7".will staining and sealing the cypress preserve it for a long time?

Old 02-21-15, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
will staining and sealing the cypress preserve it for a long time?
Nope. It's too close to the ground and will not have the air circulation it needs to keep from rotting.

Old 02-21-15, 10:41 AM
Its 4 feet off of the ground

Old 02-21-15, 10:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Cypress is impervious to Armageddon, so no worries about it rotting. If your decking is that high off the ground, you have adequate ventilation. It sounded as if you were placing it directly on concrete, which would not work. I would graduate to 2x6 lumber to keep bounce down.

Old 02-21-15, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Its 4 feet off of the ground
Sorry, did not get the impression it was that high from your initial posting.

Old 02-21-15, 11:15 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
He is putting sleepers down on a porch that has a concrete surface from what I gather. Rarely is there that big of a step down out of the house to offer 7" after adding 2.25" worth of material. Was there a step up into the house off the porch? And to have a 7" step down off this porch after adding 2.25" means there was a short step to begin with?

Might be time for a picture to rein us all onto the same page for you. I think we all have a slightly different picture of what your house looks like in our mind. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html