How to wrap deck stairs wrapping around 270 degree corner

Old 02-24-15, 01:25 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry How to wrap deck stairs wrapping around 270 degree corner

I have a portion of my deck that projects out at 45 degree angle from the rest of the deck. The 45 degree angle is towards a BBQ island and an exit from the concrete patio. The deck abuts a concrete patio for about 27 feet of its length.

I am wrapping steps around this projection and along the rest of the deck abutting the patio. The deck is 24" above grade.

I'm using Azek plastic deck boards. Their specs call for stair stringers every 12". I am unsure about how to fill in the space between the stringers at the bottom of the outside 270 degree corner with extra stringers to provide support every 12". There's no room at the top of the rim joist to hang additional stringers.

I was considering cutting partial stringers and then just tying them to the adjacent stringers with blocking, and attaching the bottom of the stringers to a PT 2x4 that's anchored to the concrete with expansion bolts. You can see in the pictures attached that I've used that technique to anchor the stringers to the new patio.

I'm also a little unsure about how to measure for the custom stringers required for this corner. I am intending to just measure it practically -- lay some stair treads from the adjacent stringers and measure the run based on the dimension of the boards at the point where I need stringers.

Does anyone have some suggestions? See pictures attached, and thanks for your input.

In the pictures attached, the stair treads are temporary.

Brian

Name:  P2210012_sm.jpg
Views: 7457
Size:  38.7 KBName:  P2210013_sm.jpg
Views: 20299
Size:  39.9 KB

Old 02-24-15, 04:29 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Build a series of boxes, one for each level. First box sit on your 2x4 sleeper with blocking inside the box that allows for installation of your treads as well as fascia trim boards. Then build a smaller box to set on top of the large box and fill out the same way. Finally, you have the small box on the top. Think of a wedding cake with a bunch of layers on top of each other. Bolt each later to the outside stringer of the long run sides. Tie the boxes together as well so they do not bounce when you walk on them. The boxes could be triangular in shape as well to wrap the corner.

Old 02-24-15, 09:51 AM
B
great

Thanks, great idea. Though I'm not sure what you mean about attaching the boxes to the rim joist since there's so little room there.

Old 02-24-15, 10:08 AM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Your stringers should look like this. Doing a practical layout would be the easiest way to get the measurements. This is pretty much one of the most difficult things to cut in stair design, so dont worry if it takes a couple tries to get it right.

Name:  P2210012_sm.jpg
Views: 8958
Size:  37.3 KB

Old 02-24-15, 02:45 PM
Didn't say anything about rim joists, I did use the term fascia trim board when I should have said risers.

That little extra jog in your deck trying to follow the pattern of the patio is what is causing you some headaches. Did you have a design plan that you are working off of? Can you upload it so I can look at the whole structure better?

Old 02-24-15, 09:02 PM
B
@Kieth, as soon as I saw your picture I thought that this would work. Thanks for taking the time for a little Photoshop work.

Old 02-24-15, 09:19 PM
B
@Crizzi, your idea makes sense, though I think it's a bit more complicated than I'd like to attempt.

Old 05-02-15, 01:40 PM
B
@czizzi, a plan? What's a plan? LOL. Yes, I started with one. And it's changed a lot, which is probably what's giving me headaches. I initially was only going to put a 4' wide stair on the right side of this photo.

Name:  20150502_123500.jpg
Views: 4636
Size:  42.4 KB

But then I realized with the deck 24" above grade, when I added a 4' rail, that the deck would be so separate and inaccessible from the patio as to make the space unusable. So I then opted to wrap the entire deck fronting on the patio with stairs.

Old 05-02-15, 02:30 PM
A two month hiatus...Welcome back. Why don't you make two sets of steps. One on the right and another on the main deck side to the left. Make them as wide as you like and then join them with railing It will give you a safe place put a table where you don't have to worry about someone sliding off when they push their chairs back. It will feel safer to all. I've built a some wrap around decks only to return and see that the homeowner has painted lines on the steps to remind everybody to step down.

Old 05-05-15, 12:58 AM
B
Yes, it's been slow going. I broke my hand in January and its taken a long time to heal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: