Refinishing deck with paint or stain?

Old 03-18-15, 06:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refinishing deck with paint or stain?

Hello,
My deck was built around 1985. So far, its been painted. So I am planning on power washing the deck. Not sure if I should go with paint or stain. Alot of people told me if it was painted before, then use paint. I was looking at the paint reviews at homedeopt, one of the popular was behr deckover, but the review was really bad. I can not figure out what should I go with. My backyard does have a lot trees so if that has any affect of what I use. Any advice will be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-15, 07:17 AM
Hi soumikcha,

I asked a similar question in this thread: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/de...ver-paint.html

I plan on going with a stain after reading that. I hope that helps.

Old 03-18-15, 07:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
How much paint is left on the deck? Depending on what it looks like after cleaning I'd probably recommend a solid latex deck stain. Extra mildewcide can be added to the stain if that's an issue.

Old 03-18-15, 07:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
I don't like paint on a deck. If there's paint there now, my choice would be a solid body stain.

Old 03-18-15, 07:00 PM
Stain is also my choice. But a concern I have is, since the wood is about 30 years old. If I stain it, wouldnt it show all the imperfection?

Old 03-19-15, 03:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Stain doesn't hide as much as paint does but I'm not understanding the concern. A deck floor is never expected to look as nice as interior hardwood. How much paint is still on the wood? What type of defects are you concerned about? pics would be helpful.

Old 03-19-15, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
Solid body stains hide the grain and the wood almost as much as paint but are easier to maintain than paint.

Old 03-21-15, 12:56 PM
Old 03-21-15, 03:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A solid stain should do ok after you clean the deck.

Old 03-22-15, 06:25 AM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
i live in Maine and have used about all there is on pt decks. The solid body stain was prob the best but faded over the years... paint worked out pretty good but had wear and peel issues... i now have the rustoleum deck restore, but that peeled in areas and when i asked the co how to fix it, they just gave me a refund. I had to rough sand the bad areas and reapply and it is working for now. Nice product but still wondering how it will hold up over the years and how to strip it off if I change it out.

Old 03-22-15, 09:30 AM
About the fading, do I just stain over it or I have to sand and clean, then stain?

I guess, no matter which I go. Nothing sticks well for too long. I just need or wish to find something so it last five years before I need to touch up or anything.

Old 03-22-15, 11:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
5 yrs is pretty optimistic for a deck stain although a lot depends on the quality of the stain and the exposure it gets to the elements. The darker the stain and more intense the sunlight, the more it will fade.

Coatings will always adhere better to a clean substrate so it's always best to clean it all before you apply new stain. If the existing paint is chalky, the chalk either has to be washed off or add Flood's EmulsaBond to the stain as latex stain will not adhere long term to chalky surfaces.

Old 03-22-15, 11:58 AM
My current paint do not feel like chalky. It peals right off. I think it will get more exposed to sun this year due to cutting few trees down close to the deck but I do have alot of trees in my backyard. Any recommendation of a certain stain I should use?

Old 03-22-15, 12:23 PM
A deck painter told me to go with restore paint oil based, not water based. Is that wise?

Old 03-22-15, 04:57 PM
I also have a lot of cracks on the wood itself. The paint did not do a good job.

Old 03-22-15, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
I still say solid body stain. Oil based would be fine but it won't hold up as well as latex to a lot of sun so not necessarily the best choice as you move south.

Old 03-23-15, 03:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've not used any of the restore type deck coatings, the whole concept of that type of coating tells me it will fail sooner or later and the resulting prep needed to recoat will be a nightmare!!

Wood will crack, the more it's exposed to the elements, the more it will crack. Neither paint or stain will hide the cracks.You could caulk the cracks but there is no guarantee that the caulk will seal it long term. I generally only caulk the more unsightly ones along with any in the handrail.

As stickshift said, oil base coatings will fade quicker than their latex counterpart although sometimes the best coating advice is regional - what works best in one climate may not be the best in another.

Old 03-23-15, 10:50 AM
How can I figure out what works best for my region? I live in Maryland. I have alot of trees in my backyard but my deck is exposed to the sun.

After doing a lot of reading. people recommend semi transparent stain over the solid stain. Since Solid stain can peal. Also I read that Semi transparent stain is easier to maintain. I guess I can overlook the cracks. I Rather have better protection than worrying about seeing exposed cracks.

Old 03-23-15, 11:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless you can remove 98% of the paint that is currently on the deck - semi-transparent won't work. Semi-transparent stain is formulated to go on raw wood although it can be applied over semi-transparent or toner stains providing there isn't too big of a color change. I've never had much issues with solid stain peeling but it will wear away. Stain only peels if it was applied incorrectly, contaminants on the wood that weren't removed prior to application or of the wood really gets wet [more than just rain on top of the stain]

Your local paint store along with friends/neighbors with decks should know what works best in your area. I know what works best in the south and a lot of that translates to other climates but sometimes coatings preform better in one climate than they will in another.

Old 03-23-15, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
Solid stain is longer lasting, IMO. It also hides more of the wood, so it works better with old decks than a clear or semi-transparent.

I use oil based stain on my deck but you could use latex if you want - pretty much a personal opinion.

Old 03-23-15, 11:47 AM
The person who I am planning on hiring to do the job is recommending paint since I have paint already. The same reason you gave. But Solid stain, that can still go over paint without any issue? Also, I do see a lot of cracks. How should I fix them or should I just paint over them?

And about the climate, you can throw all this stats out the window. I never faced any winter like the last few. Specially this one, we had negative temperature. My deck was probably frozen for a while.Haha

Old 03-23-15, 11:57 AM
Group Moderator
Scrape off all the loose paint, clean the deck and you can use a solid stain.

Don't worry about filling the cracks, nothing you can do will last long enough to be worth the effort.

Old 03-23-15, 02:56 PM
I found this
BEHR Premium 5-gal. Deep Base Solid Color Wood Stain Weatherproofing-501305 - The Home Depot

It is a water based tho. I am surprised by the good review. Since most paint I saw have terrible reviews. lol

Old 03-23-15, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry, no experience with that brand at all due to the number of complaints I see about it on this site.

That said, not everyone complains about Behr, some people are happy with it.

Old 03-23-15, 03:37 PM
Any company you recommend?

Old 03-23-15, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
The brands I see recommended most here are Cabbot, Sikkens, Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore.

The short version is better products and advice are found in paint stores than in paint departments.

Old 03-23-15, 04:55 PM
Thats true. I was just surprised that consumerreport made the behr solid stain one of the top choices.

Old 03-23-15, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Consumer Reports often lists them well but read through old posts on the site - almost invariably, when someone has a bad experience, that will have been the brand they used.

We have yet to figure out what Consumer Reports uses for their rating tests.

Old 03-23-15, 05:18 PM
ALl the review I have been seeing on behr solid color waterproofing wood stain. It seems to be positive.
I just checked the Sherwin Williams solid stain. Bad review.
Pretty much all paint I saw so far have bad reviews. Lol

And all the other brand you mentioned. The places they sale around me, those stores are uncommon. I am not sure if it will be wise to buy it from them. Ahh!
Why is buying paint so difficult.

The Behr have 10 year warranty. Is that have legit? lol

Old 03-24-15, 03:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't put much stock in any paint/stain warranty. There are too many loop holes If the paint manufacture wants out of the warranty all they have to do is find something wrong with the prep or the application. The only times I've seen the paint manufacture replace paint is with their larger customers.

I also don't understand CR's evaluations I've heard that SWP's DeckScapes has bad reviews but I've always gotten good results with it. SuperDeck also has a good reputation although I don't recall every using it or Sikkens.

Old 03-24-15, 06:21 PM
Lol, I guess we can not trust anyone anytime anymore. I miss the good old days. When Paint was made with lead.

Old 03-25-15, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
I've worked with him here long enough I trust marksr.

Old 03-25-15, 09:40 AM
Well, I found benj solid stain. I will go check them out this week. But superdeck, way too far. But I will see if I can get them. Smh. So difficult to figure out what I should use.

Old 03-25-15, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
This was long enough ago the numbers don't work but the concept still rings true - used to say a $10 gallon of deck stain would last a year, a $20 can would have to be reapplied every other year and a $30 gallon would allow you to skip two years between recoats.

Old 03-25-15, 10:40 AM
Should I use ralph lauren then? haha, I did not even know they sell overpriced paints.
With your price say and doing a lot of research,
I found critics ranked
the Bher solid waterproofing stain,33$ per gallon
Benjamin Moore Arborcoat around 40$ per gallon
The highest,
But they both are water based. Is water based a better choice than oil based?

But for all paints I saw, people purchased them had terrible experience lol.
But that specfic Bher had exceptional and surprising positive review everywhere. By critics and people who bought it.

Old 03-25-15, 12:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've only had the displeasure of applying one gallon of Ralph Lauren paint [customer supplied] and I was not impressed

Oil base stain seals the wood slightly better than latex but it's more apt to fade and requires paint thinner to clean up. Today's latex coatings are a LOT better than they were 20-30 yrs ago! Latex often covers better than oil. IMO, 90% of the time you are better off using latex.

With the exception of BM's bottom line coatings, I've always been satisfied with them. I've never had a lot of dealings with Behr's coatings so I can't offer much first hand experience I do know that most cheaper priced coatings don't cover as well as the better ones. I think oft times that bad/good reviews are more about the lack of expertise of the user than the actual product. Personally, I'd trust my name/reputation on any mid line or better BM coating versus any Behr coating.

Old 03-25-15, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
I used to use BM paint until I moved and the SWP store was closer to the new house. I like both brands but I would never use a bottom of the line product from either.

Old 03-25-15, 02:10 PM
For solid stain, they all only carry one kind. BM or SW do not have different kind of solid stain for the deck use. $35 per gallon is bottom of the line price? wtf. How much do a good quality solid paint supposed to cost ? I have zero idea. I just hoped it was like $0

Old 03-25-15, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
I can't remember the last time I paid less than $30 for a gallon.

Old 03-25-15, 02:32 PM
Well, I will hope to check BM out, hopefully they can help me find a good color. And ya I believe most of the bad comments are people who did not know how to apply it. I have behr on my deck currently . So far not problem, but we used a light color and did not do alot of maintenance and it lasted over 4 years. This time I am paying someone to do it. They doing my deck porch and stairs for $300 power wash and $300 painting. I hope to do a better job maintenance this time.
Another thing I believe is, it all depends on maintenance keep up. Otherwise even the best paint will fail.