How to make these router cuts?

Old 03-21-15, 01:01 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to make these router cuts?

Im a novice and just ordered a dewalt router with a square that attaches to it. Im interested in making these lgrooves in the wood such as in these pictures.

cat-climbing-towers.com

Can I do this with no router table? If so whats the best way when i reach edges or go beyond the squares reach, minimum and maximum distances?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-15, 03:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Sorry don't see what grooves you are talking about. Everything I saw in pictures I would make on table saw & miter saw.

Old 03-21-15, 05:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree. If you are talking about the grooves in the ramps, a dado blade in a table saw would make them better, finishing them off with the same size router bit on the end if you needed to square the grooves off (probably not necessary). Set the dado blade x-inches from the fence and make cuts on all your ramps. Then move the fence over x-inches for the second cut. Repeat this until you have all the cuts made. An easier way to make them symmetrical is to make a central cut, then move the fence over x-inches for the next cut from center, flipping the board for the third cut. Now you have a central cut and two beside it. Repeat this until you have what you want.

A router is a good tool, but will be a slow process since you can't cut through the entire board with one pass. It may take up to 4 passes to make one cut.

Old 03-21-15, 10:07 AM
M
I certainly agree with the two previous posters that I wouldn't use a router to do the grooves shown in those pictures. However, there is no reason you can't. You can either use a router table like you mentioned or just clamp a board down to the top of the service your grooving to act as a guide for the router, just move it over the required distance after each groove is cut. It would be a lot simpler with the tablesaw but there is no reason it couldn't be done with a router.

Old 03-21-15, 10:37 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I did something similar for someone a couple of years ago, and can't remember right now what it was, but similar in having multiple grooves, and I did it as Chandler said; cut the center, then each time I moved the fence I would flip the board and make the same cut the other way. For square grooves, that's how I would do it again, but, if you want shape, no reason that you couldn't follow the same technique with a router table, as Msradell suggested.

Old 03-23-15, 09:38 PM
B
I purchased a dado blade today for my table saw, thanks for the advise..

I have one more question, I bought posts today from the farm supply store, how should I fasten them to the planks, lag screw or couple recessed fasteners?

I am building the type of furniture in my link

Old 03-23-15, 09:54 PM
Both are fine and the lag screws can be recessed also.

Old 03-26-15, 05:01 PM
B
Ok about the cuts again, can I make all the parallel grooves and then do my chopping to length or would that possibly damage the grooves? It would make things a lot easier

Old 03-26-15, 05:12 PM
M
There is no problem making the grooves first and then chopping them to length. Just use a fine tooth blade for the cross cuts. You'll probably need to do some light sanding on the edges of the cuts but other than that you should be fine.

Old 03-27-15, 06:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Frued spelling might be wrong but they make a blade for cutting plywood that leaves a clean cut. blade 80 to 90 bucks last time I checked. Will never cut plywood without it again.