Deck refinish help?

Old 04-02-15, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck refinish help?

Hello,

We have a back deck in pretty rough shape. It has a thick kind of reddish colored almost paint stain that we dislike. Alot of the boards are in pretty rough shape. I have attached to pictures of the deck. We would really like it to be smoothed up and restained with a much more natural look like this:http://cdn.oneprojectcloser.com/wp-c...ck-stained.jpg

Would my best course of action be to rent a floor sander and try to smooth it out and sand off all the remnants of the old stain first?

Attached Images   

Last edited by joshgfeller; 04-02-15 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-15, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 54 Posts
Your pics are probably too large and need to be resized. Here's an easy, fast way:

Web Resizer - Making Photos Faster - Optimize pictures for websites and email

Old 04-02-15, 12:53 PM
there we go got them posted.

Old 04-02-15, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Aged wood is not easily going to be brought back the way you think. This is old wood and I would suggest a solid body stain, which is what it appears you have now.

If you really want new-looking wood and a more natural looking finish, you may have to replace the decking. If so, I would then recommend looking into composite materials.

Old 04-02-15, 02:00 PM
Bummer,

I am not ready for that kind of expense. I guess I will try to strip off what is currently there and the reapply an ugly old solid stain. thanks for the info

Old 04-02-15, 03:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
it doesn't have to be an ugly old stain, it could be a pretty new stain

I'd clean the deck and then inspect it to determine if you could use a semi-transparent stain [toner/translucent stain isn't likely] or if you need to use a solid stain. One of the nice things about solid stains is you can tint it to most any color that suits your fancy [even psychedelic pink ]

My SOP for deck cleaning; wet the deck and then use a pump up pressure washer to spray on a bleach/water mixture [never stronger than 50%!] let it set but not dry and the rinse with a pressure washer [garden hose will also work] Adding TSP to the bleach will help if there is any grease or other stubborn stains, it might also aid in removing any old stain that is well past it's prime.

Old 04-02-15, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the info. What are your guys thoughts on that textured deck restore type stain? Like Behr premium deck over.

Old 04-02-15, 03:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I don't have any hands on experience with them, everything I know about painting and/or staining decks says to run!! A heavy coating like that is going to fail! when it fails, the prep needed to make the deck look decent again will be insane.

A few of the members have used those deck coatings and I think everyone of them regretted it within a year or so.

Old 04-02-15, 03:32 PM
Makes sense! If I want to apply solid stain Do I need to sand off the old or just Clean it up and stain over it?

Old 04-02-15, 03:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as the deck is clean and any loose stain removed - you can apply the solid stain. Just make sure it is a deck stain! While deck stains can be applied to siding or a fence, a siding stain should not be applied to a deck.

Old 04-02-15, 03:59 PM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
No amount of stain is going to fix rotted wood.
A soild stain used on the deck is just going to wear off in no time.
Deck brightner, pressure washer, replace rotted wood.
Wait a few months for the new wood to dry out then apply new stain.
Still not going to look new until you commit to replacing that old wood.
PS those railing are not legal.

Old 04-02-15, 04:09 PM
Good grief, Why is my railing not legal??

Old 04-02-15, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
Space between the balusters must be less than 4" - many inspectors have a 4" diameter ball and if it can fall off the deck between balusters, you fail inspection.

Old 04-02-15, 04:21 PM
Oh gotcha, yah you can tell it was some Joe Schmo project the boards aren't even decking boards they are 2x4's.

Old 04-02-15, 04:23 PM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Horizotal railing are like a ladder for kids to climb on.

Old 04-02-15, 04:37 PM
I have attached some more photos... Honestly in this shape do you guys feel really the only thing to do is rebuild? I hate to do that but if I'm just going to spend a bunch of time trying to fix it up and not make any good progress then I'd be crazy....

Attached Images    
Old 04-03-15, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The most important thing is whether or not the boards are solid. If the wood is soft/rotten - it needs to be replaced! As long as the wood is sound, it can still be used although splinters might be an issue. PT wood is prone to cracking as it dries out from the PT process. The railing can be made legal by either installing balusters or more lattice. I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you have kids/grandkids. I don't recall seeing 2x4s used for the decking but I've stained quite a few that used 2x6s. While 1x6 decking is the norm, 2xs don't make it wrong.

When a deck is past it's prime, solid stains look the best. Sometimes folks will just replace a few random bad boards to extend a decks life although those boards will always be spotted by the trained eye because the 'texture' will be different [won't look aged like the rest] When to replace the decking [or maybe the whole deck] depends on if it's sound, how picky you are along with your budget.

Old 04-03-15, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the info! They are very sturdy not rotten through just kinda ugly on top. I think I will give it a go with a good power wash, sanding, and then solid stain and see what we get.

Old 04-03-15, 10:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Except for the handrail about the only time I bother to sand a deck is when someone used too much pressure cleaning it [the wood will fuzz up] Decks don't normally like to be sanded as the nail heads will grab the sandpaper and tear it.

A fresh coat of paint or stain improves the looks of most any tired looking substrate

Old 04-03-15, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
Stain it now and then start planning and saving for new decking or even a new deck.